Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ancient City Match

I had heard back earlier in the year that there was a new gun club starting in the St Augustine, FL area by the name of Ancient, City and they were going to be doing 3 gun matches. If there is anyone on the forum from that neck of the woods, did they ever open up and do you have any information on their matches and match quality if they are shooting?

The club is open. Right now they are just shooting NRA Action pistol on the 4th Saturday of every month. Basically a fun match to generate new shooters and expose them to run and gun. There was a two gun match last Saturday, pistol and rifle. I was not there due to USPSA match in Yulee. Will let you know how it went when I find somebody I know that shot it.

To the best of my knowledge no plans for any 3 gun matches at this time. Will let everybody know if anything changes.

The problem is it will compete with the SAPSA USPSA Match held the 3rd Saturday of every month at the St Aug FOP Range. You also have Yulee SEPSA, Coastal Area Brunswick and Space Coast Titusville. The ranges in St Aug are about 3 miles from each other. It would be nice if they ran a 3 Gun match there maybe on a Sunday. The problem in N Florida is the established matches that have been around for many years. There is a match every Saturday of the month within a reasonable driving distance from Jacksonville. The longest drive is 120 miles to Titusville the 1st Saturady of the month. Sunday matches would be nice.

Well maybe the two gun format will take off. I'd like to see a lot more tactical 2 gun matches. The ammo costs and entry level equipment makes it at a minimum 2/3 the cost of 3 gun. Perhaps it will garner more participation from PO-lice and yutes from cost saving alone.

Edited by Mike P

The problem in N Florida is the established matches that have been around for many years. There is a match every Saturday of the month within a reasonable driving distance from Jacksonville. The longest drive is 120 miles to Titusville the 1st Saturady of the month. Sunday matches would be nice.

Talk to some our shooters in the west and northwest. They would love to have this problem.

Well maybe the two gun format will take off. I'd like to see a lot more tactical 2 gun matches. The ammo costs and entry level equipment makes it at a minimum 2/3 the cost of 3 gun. Perhaps it will garner more participation from PO-lice and yutes from cost saving alone.

Some one said they would be starting with two gun. Any match feedback yet?

I was just over at Ancient City this morning verifying my zeros and my shotgun choke, they now have a "bay" where a couple shooters can shoot out to 400 yards and several can shoot out to 200.

Charles, I believe this place has enough bays and distance now so they could hold an Area-6 3-gun match, and if another bay or two was needed maybe the FOP range on the other side of the freeway could provide them. I'm a member at both and they have been very friendly and accomodating. The FOP only has one 85 yd bay (about 50 yds wide) and three other bays, 2 about 20x30 yds and 1 40x40yd, but well laid out and good berms, with a nice size building and parking area that could accomodate post match BQ etc.

I did not attend the ACSR 2-gun match (I went to one out in Bradford a few weeks ago though) but I spoke with Clint, the organizer, this morning and he said he received very good feedback and kudos for the match and plans on having them more often and expanding to 3-gun. They also have their moving/pop-up/reset targets partially installed and almost ready... It's going to be a great range, already is pretty darn good!

Chris Eidsmoe

I am also a member at both clubs and agree, Ancient City is very good now and will become excellent. Talked with a friend of mine today at the SAPSA match that shot the two gun match. He said is was a good match just took all day to shoot, finished close to 6:00. They did use paper targets on the long range rifle stages so it took a long time to score the match. Another friend said they plan on using reactive steel in the future to save time scoring. It is new to them and will take some time to find out what works and what does not. They are very receptive to changing things to make it better. I am sure they will have a first class operation with the matches running smoother each time they put one on. It is certainly not your average gun club, it will be like a country club for shooters.