Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to test for loose primers in loaded rounds?

David Sinko

I was loading some .308 the other day with my Lee Auto Prime when the handle suddenly snapped off. I finished priming the brass in the priming station of my 650. I lost the "feel" that the Auto Prime had and I'm now concerned that some of the primers might've gone in loose, since my brass has been loaded "a few" times. Is there any satisfactory way to test for loose primers in loaded rounds? If I tumble the loaded ammo (which I don't ordinarily do), would loose primers work their way out of any problem rounds? Does sealing them with the commercial sealants help at all?

Dave Sinko

I am sure rifle is totally different. But I found that putting my pistol ammo in a bag or jar of somekind instead of the ammo boxes I bought loose primers will reveal themselves with routine handling of the container.

When I was getting my swager adjusted, I had it set to open the primer pocket too much at one point. I had primers falling out and getting loose. My method of checking while adjusting was to take the freshly primed case (before loading any powder into it) and hit it with compressed air and a rubber tipped nozzle. I figured if 100 psi didn't move the primer, normal handling probably wouldn't. You have to be careful to cup your hand around the base of the case so if it is loose it doesn't blow the primer across the room. I eventually got to the point where I only had to check the ones that didn't feel as if they had much resistance while seating the primers. I finally got my adjustment down to the point where I don't have to check them, anymore.