Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

choosing 1911 grips

Fishin6061

Hello all. I am looking for some grips for my SS and am between two manufacturers several models. What are the differences in aggressiveness between Lazzo’s warthog and horned lizard, and how do they compare to grips offered by VZ. Could any one recommend any other manufactures that would be on par with the two that I have mentioned? My gun is only used for gaming and is not carried.

I've used the Warthogs and Horned Lizards on the same gun. The HLs have more grip for me. They have sort of a row of ridges effect that locks them in my hand but still allow me to rotate the gun a bit for a reload. The Warthogs probably had plenty of grip-ability (if that's a word) but they weren't the same for me...and the HL's look much better. I have what I think is a pair of VZ Aliens or copies with a smooth finish, but they seem thinner and slicker than the Lazza grips.

I have three sets of Horned Lizards grips, and they are great. I would say the difference is the HL's have striations in the grip whereas the Warthogs are textured with bumps. The HL's striations are in line with the way your hand marries up with the grip when drawing it from the holster, and do a really good job of keeping the gun from slipping in your hand. They look aggressive as hell, but do not cut up your hand.

I don't have any experience w/ VZ, but will say that Larry Davidson is a very good person to work with. He's quick to respond to emails, can answer any myriad of question, and produces a quality product. He'll even do semi-custom work if you have a particular specification you want on your grips. Plus I think the Horned Lizard Black/Grey pattern look great. My wife, who is the penultimate-decision-maker-on-all-things-color-and-design-related approves of them and asked for a set of her own.