Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I use a Vanek G34 firing pin in a G35?

zenmanxxx

I bought a "used" Vanek Classic Grand Master kit. It was used once at the range. I want to install it in my G35 or G24. I have 9mm conversion barrels for both. Will the 9mm firing pin work in the G35 slide? I thought they used the same slide. Can I shoot 9mm and .40 with the 9mm firing pin? I have no problems shooting 9mm wth the conversion barrel and stock .40 firing pin. Will the reverse be true?

Yes. The firing pin is the same. What is different is the ejector-it pulls straight out and reinserts the same way. Some guns will run with same ejector, though. You can check Charlie Vanek's website or email him about this-very nice guy-with a world of knowledge.

Yes. The firing pin is the same. What is different is the ejector-it pulls straight out and reinserts the same way. Some guns will run with same ejector, though. You can check Charlie Vanek's website or email him about this-very nice guy-with a world of knowledge.

Thanks,

I have checked out a couple of places and got varied info. Glockworx uses the same for 9 and 40. Other places have different part #'s for them. The bag that Charlies came in had boxes for 9,40, and 45....9 was checked.

I have installed the kit and it feels great during dry firing.

I am waiting to hear back from Charlie...and you're right, he is a great guy and very helpfull. I spoke to him a while back and he was a great help....and devoted a lot of time to helping me by phone. Probably 20 to 30 minutes.

I asked Charlie pretty much the same question a while ago. I'm sure he won't mind my posting our emails:

...I used to be able to switch the firing pins between caliber with older model Glock's and they would function fine, but for some reason in the newer Glock's they seem to have a terrible trigger pull on some. The trigger housing ejectors are different between the 9 and 40's, but they can be switched by pulling the ejector out of the housing with some pliers. I would pick what caliber I will shoot most often and then try to switch the firing pin and hope it feels good, if it didn't I would use the stock firing pin and you will still have a nice trigger with all the other parts.

Charlie

----- Original Message -----

To: Charlie Vanek

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:53 AM

Subject: Re: GM Classic kit compatibility

BTW, I know that the 9mm and 40 strikers are slightly different, but I found that the actual striker blades seem to go through the breech face of the slides for either caliber. I cant really spend the money on two GM kits - if I get one kit to do double duty for a 34 and a 35, do you think that'd work, and, if so, would you recommend the 9mm or 40 striker?

TIA,

Kevin C

Thanks Kevin,

That is great info. So what did you end up doing?

Charlie told me I may get light strikes running the 9mm striker and shooting .40. I was not as worried about that as I was about harming the Glock. Though I am not sure if that is because of the striker or its spring. My kit did come with an extra spring in case there were light strikes shooting 9mm. It's labeled "medium". There was also a disclaimer that said the stock spring may have to be used in rare instances.

I asked Charlie pretty much the same question a while ago. I'm sure he won't mind my posting our emails:

...I used to be able to switch the firing pins between caliber with older model Glock's and they would function fine, but for some reason in the newer Glock's they seem to have a terrible trigger pull on some. The trigger housing ejectors are different between the 9 and 40's, but they can be switched by pulling the ejector out of the housing with some pliers. I would pick what caliber I will shoot most often and then try to switch the firing pin and hope it feels good, if it didn't I would use the stock firing pin and you will still have a nice trigger with all the other parts.

Charlie

----- Original Message -----

To: Charlie Vanek

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:53 AM

Subject: Re: GM Classic kit compatibility

BTW, I know that the 9mm and 40 strikers are slightly different, but I found that the actual striker blades seem to go through the breech face of the slides for either caliber. I cant really spend the money on two GM kits - if I get one kit to do double duty for a 34 and a 35, do you think that'd work, and, if so, would you recommend the 9mm or 40 striker?

TIA,

Kevin C

I think that has to do with primers rather than a gun issue. Depending on the primers-if you are getting light strikes, go up the chain until you get no light strikes. I don't think there will be an issue with the gun. I have switched out Vanek Classic triggers in my 34 and 35 without incident. (But not on a permanent basis.)

Thanks for all the info guys. I finally got to the range last night and test fired it. Charlie makes an amazing trigger kit!

It is better than I had imagined it would be.

I set it up for 9 first with the conversion barrel in the G24. Two guys I shoot local matches with were there and wanted to try it out. Both are not too fond of Glocks. They loved it.

I switched to the .40 barrel and it functioned flawlessly also. I did not change the trigger housing ejector. I left the 9mm one in.

Final test was 3 rounds of shooting sets of 5 clay pigeons at 35 yards man on man against the other two guys. I beat them both all 3 rounds. It took me 7 shots for the first round, 6 shots each for rounds 2 and 3.

I would have normally expended a few more rounds than that with the stock trigger.

The only difference between a Glock 9 & 40 firing pin is that the 40 has a few thousandths more firing pin protrusion because the tip is a bit longer.

I swap them out on competition guns indiscriminately, but will only do it "right" on a duty or self-defense gun because of the liability issue.

The 45/10mm firing pin is a whole different animal. It is longer overall for the bigger slide dimensions.