Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 + P/W AutoDrive Advice Needed

I am thinking about getting a Super 1050 with a P/W AutoDrive and a KISS bullet feeder. I want to crank out large quantities of 9mm using Federal primers and mixed range brass. I've been doing this on a 650 with a KISS bullet feeder and Lee FCD in station 5 to deal with any bulged brass I may pick up. I'm not unhappy with my 650 but I seem to run into more than my share of jams (maybe 2% on average when well set-up), usually associated with primer seating, primer indexing or brass slightly mis-aligned at station 1.

The point is, I can't imagine it being worth the effort to autudrive my 650 (even if there was an autodrive available for a 650) because jam frequency is too high (possibly being exacerbated by Federal primers and mixed brass). I am wondering if the 1050 is that much more jam-free than my 650. The idea of an almost fully automatic 1050 is very appealing if it would run reliably using mixed brass, a Lee FCD and Federal primers. Has anyone had experience using mixed brass, federal primers and a Lee FCD on an automated 1050? I am concerned by some comments I have read that brass "preparation" is very important for an automated 1050....exactly what does that mean? I can see having to use clean, reloadable brass of a single caliber, no residual polishing media, etc. but does it have to be single headstamp, non-bulged as well?

Thanks for any advice/experience.

Edited by double_pedro

That is my (almost) exact set-up for the same 9mm. I had an issue with mixed brass that was not cleaned very well. I ran the brass back through my tumbler and tried again with out any issues. That is with Fed primers, EGW U die( not FCD sorry) and mixed brass. I ran 2K in one setting early last week with out any issues at all. It did take me a little while to get the clutch and arm adjusted just right on the auto drive first. Now that is is set, I can change out tool heads and conversion kits and run whatever I want to. ( 9mm major, 9mm minor, 95 grain 9mm steel loads, 40 major and minor, .223, 45 ACP and .308) This set-up is great.

I think with my tennis elbow, the time is quickly approaching where the P/w autodrive is not just a nice idea.

I'm tempted to set up a second toolead, just for processing te brass to aleviate any headaches when loading.

I think with my tennis elbow, the time is quickly approaching where the P/w autodrive is not just a nice idea.

I'm tempted to set up a second toolead, just for processing te brass to aleviate any headaches when loading.

That is why I went on and got one. Loading 1K rounds would kill my elbow. Now I can do a years worth for one caliber a week with no elbow issues.

That is my (almost) exact set-up for the same 9mm. I had an issue with mixed brass that was not cleaned very well. I ran the brass back through my tumbler and tried again with out any issues. That is with Fed primers, EGW U die( not FCD sorry) and mixed brass. I ran 2K in one setting early last week with out any issues at all. It did take me a little while to get the clutch and arm adjusted just right on the auto drive first. Now that is is set, I can change out tool heads and conversion kits and run whatever I want to. ( 9mm major, 9mm minor, 95 grain 9mm steel loads, 40 major and minor, .223, 45 ACP and .308) This set-up is great.

That sounds encouraging. Do you have a rough guess at your "typical" stopage rate (other than to refill primers, powder, or brass) - is it 1 per 100 rounds, 1 per 1000, somewhere in between? Thanks.

I loaded 2K rounds only stopping every 100 to add primers, and powder/brass/bullets every 300 rounds. I don't know what typical will work out to be, but I thought it was amazing. I would have 1 every couple of hundred, before the bullet feeder, that I would not get the bullet set on the case right and crush the case. Since the feeder, no stopages yet.

• 2 years later...