Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para 1640 Mags

bountyhunter

I need some 10-rd mags for my Para 1640. The factory mags are about $58 at the discount place (Cheaper Than Dirt). Anybody know of a place to get them cheaper?

I also considered buying the junky Pro Mag ones because these are range mags only. I saw them at Natchez Shooters for about $15 but they are out of stock.

Any suggestions on where to get either of the above?

hm...I find that the factory 10-rd mags are of extremely poor quality and will first stop falling free (after very little use, a few weeks for me) and then break. The weak spot is the little plastic tab at the front that keeps the plastic base and the metal top together. These mags are literally not worth even $1, and I would get aftermarket ones from anyone before the factory ones.

That doesn't answer your question, but maybe it points you in the right direction...

--Detlef

It's true the plastic bases have been known to shatter if they are free dropped onto a hard ground surface. Other than that, the Para mags I have are perfect and have had zero feeding problems. The Pro Mags are notorious for not fitting or feeding corrctly. What's worse, the LDA gun has a trigger bar inside that runs about .050" away from the mag shell. If your mag is wobbly or not fitted properly, it can drag on it. I wanted to try the pro-mags, but I didn't find them in stock anywhere.

o.k., let me modify my statement (you are correct...): If you do not drop your factory 10-rd mags, do not take them apart for cleaning, and do no dry-practice with them (shooting is fine...) then they work well. If you do, seek aftermarket products of good quality, or spend the $70+ or so for pre-ban, all-metal, high-cap mags (those are virtually indestructable and still easy to get).

I got a PM kindly offering me a couple of these. I could not reply because the PM and search engine on this site are not working, at least not from this computer.

Since I had already ordered some new ones, I don't need any more right now. I actually had five already and ordered three more because the speed shooting league shoots in eight sets of six rounds, and all the really cool guys have eight magazines.... bottom line, I don't like making everybody wait while I reload three of mine so I needed three more to make eight magazines total.

Thanks for the offer.