Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oil the striker?

B_Seehawer

Ok, not my gun and never really messed with XD's. I shoot glocks ans M&P's and know better than to oil the striker tunnel. I got my buddies gun torn apart and the entire inside was dripping with oil. I degreased and reassembled without lube in the striker tunnel. Is this correct or to XD's need a little?

ganderman

A very light film of oil is good, over oiling can cause problems eventually. Some run them dry in the firing pin channel and they work just fine but the parts are all metal so some oil is warranted. If the firing pin channel is heavily oiled and the breather hole becomes plugged it can cause a hydraulic effect and slow the firing pin down to the point of a miss fire.

Rich

• 1 month later...
A Springfield tech said that you shouldn't oil it. However, I do and have never had any light primer strikes.

Somehow I don't see why a Springfield tech would want to give you anything other than the best advice ;)

If someone really feels the need, wipe it with a slightly oily rag, then wipe it off with a clean rag and there'd be more than enough left to protect the metal. R,