Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another bulging case question

kmca

I loaded some 125gr Bear Creek lead trucated cone bullets and it won't fit in my case gauge. The load is 125gr LTC, Winchester case, Winchester small pistol primer, 3.4gr Clays, case mouth is .376 and oal is 1.148. When I check the case in the gauge after sizing and depriming, it fits perfectly. After seating the bullet, it sticks up out of the case gauge about .083. I tried running it through my Lee FCD, no help. I loaded both on a square deal and 550 with the same results. Does anyone have an answer?

Thanks.

Try them in your barrel. Nobody shoots rounds through a case gage.

I'm not familiar with the BC bullet but, I shoot a ton of 124 FP and your OAL sounds pretty long for a standard chamber.

I load Berry and Ranier plated 125 grain FP at 1.090 with no problems and MG 124 grain CMJ at 1.125.

Also, re-check your crimp. Should be .002" less than your case measurement with bullet seated.

Make sure your not belling the case mouth excessively. Dbl check your crimp. Use the FCD for a paper weight :) Set your taper crimp to just remove the bell. Take the barrel out of the gun and use it to chamber check.

Jim

A friend of mine loaded those bullets and gave me few to try. No problems with the OAL. Silly me, I used them up before I checked to see if they fit in the gauge. I did try my bullets in my barrel, and they stick up about the same as the gauge. For all I know, they just may shoot fine. I was just wondering what causes the brass to bulge at the base after I seat the bullet.

Thanks.

Edited by kmca

I just measured the base and it appears the case wasn't bulged. I seated the bullet to 1.088 and it fits the barrel and the gauge. I guess it was bottoming on the truncated cone of the bullet.

Thanks for your help.

I had the same problem with the bulge at the bottom of the case.

The bulges were so big when loaded to the mag the top round was pointing down.

I tried several dies without any success. I end up shaving the mouth of the Dillon Size die to remove the taper of the die so the case seats deep down to resize the bulge. This fixed the problem but makes is a little bit hard to reload since the case dosnt feed easily into the die, its not hard to getting used to guiding the case into the die.

Hope this helps

Thomas