Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cool Range in the Northern Virginia Area

I had the pleasure of going to a range called the Silver Eagle group. They have an awesome facility in Ashburn Va. I heard about them from a friend. I looked online and they had a free day pass that you could come down and check out the place. Range time can be purchased for $25/hr. After looking around I asked if I could get a lane and shoot for an hour. The young lady behind the counter asked if I would be interested in membership information. I thought I would love to be a member here but by the looks of the place there was no way I could afford it. (lt is like a country club for shooters) but I told her sure lets here about my pipe dream. Well she pulled out a sheet pf paper and told me that it was $100 to join for an administration fee and $35 per month or 45/mo for a family plan. The use of the gym is an extra $15/mo. I thought wow that is not bad. I asked as a member how much is range time then. She told me that for $35/month I could shoot as much as I like in 1 hr blocks. (they say they will ask you to step out after an hour if they get busy, it has never happened so far) She also asked if I was Military or a LEO, I told her I was not active duty military but was a disabled Vet. She told me that I would qualify for their Valor program which waived the administration fee. So I was going to shoot for an hour for $25 but for $35/month I can shoot as much as I want. I jumped on it. This is a dream come true for me and they have all state of the art touch screen target controls. Here is what they have there.

-2 25 yard ranges

-1 50 yard range

-1 range with barricades that you can walk up closer and closer to a target down range

(all ranges are certified up to 50 BMG) (50 BMG on a 25yd range is a bit of over kill and I say why but at least you can shoot it there)

-1 22,000 sq ft scenario room that can be set up for anything from a convenient store, airplane, office, etc. They also do force on Force so you actually shoot each other with 9mm marker round bullets so you can practice your draw and shoot under duress.

I think the scenario room is extra and not included but I really have not checked into that yet. I have been there 4 times now and it really is a great place and since I am paying for it my wife actually thinks I should go to the range since I am paying for it. Win Win for me.

The contract that I signed was for 1 year and then it is month to month after that. Not sure if it is month to month on the regular program with the $100 fee I know they said that is not refundable.

Anyway if you are looking for an fenominal range in the Northern Va area check them out. Nothing is cheap this close to DC but this is the best deal going in my opinion. You can even bring your own ammo.

-Ray

Oh by the way you can check out their site here http://silvereagle-group.com/

Thanks for the review, Ray!

I am the USPSA club president at Silver Eagle Group; our club, the Silver Eagle Shooters (VA-20), is switching to Monday nights, and we will shoot on the 3rd Monday of the month.

We are also switching to a 2-range format that allows 4 stages, larger stages and more shooters per 1-hour timeslot.

In addition to monthly USPSA shoots, Silver Eagle also hosts an active IDPA club, as well as 2 and 3 gun shoots every month (all 3 indoor bays are rifle-capable).

There are still a few time-slots open for 5 and 6 PM this coming Monday, October 19, 2009.

Hope to meet you in person at a match soon. Regards,

Douglas Johnson

TY-44934

PS I will not be able to make the November match (due to the expected arrival of our second child in November), but luckily, I have the best crew of USPSA volunteers in the known Universe to back me up for a few months (thanks guys!!).

I am the USPSA club president at Silver Eagle Group; our club, the Silver Eagle Shooters (VA-20), is switching to Monday nights, and we will shoot on the 3rd Monday of the month.

We are also switching to a 2-range format that allows 4 stages, larger stages and more shooters per 1-hour timeslot.

In addition to monthly USPSA shoots, Silver Eagle also hosts an active IDPA club, as well as 2 and 3 gun shoots every month (all 3 indoor bays are rifle-capable).

There are still a few time-slots open for 5 and 6 PM this coming Monday, October 19, 2009.

Douglas Johnson

TY-44934

PS I will not be able to make the November match (due to the expected arrival of our second child in November), but luckily, I have the best crew of USPSA volunteers in the known Universe to back me up for a few months (thanks guys!!).

I really like this range and thought I would post it here. I have also turned a few friends on to it and they have joined as well. I currently do not have any guns that I would consider to be match quality. I have a couple of guns that I carry for defense and a fun little tactical 45 acp rifle that I have enjoyed shooting. (If I can get the parts I need from the manufacture) But I would not mind coming up and watching a match if that is possible. I think that would be fun to watch. Let me know what the deal is and maybe I will stop by and check it out.

-Ray

Douglas Johnson

TY-44934

I really like this range and thought I would post it here. I have also turned a few friends on to it and they have joined as well. I currently do not have any guns that I would consider to be match quality. I have a couple of guns that I carry for defense and a fun little tactical 45 acp rifle that I have enjoyed shooting. (If I can get the parts I need from the manufacture) But I would not mind coming up and watching a match if that is possible. I think that would be fun to watch. Let me know what the deal is and maybe I will stop by and check it out.

-Ray

Spectators are more than welcome; just let the front desk know, and once on the range, just find any of us holding a clip-board or a timer & we will try to either pass off our duties & answer your questions personally, or find you an experienced person to speak with.

As far as the guns & equipment we use in USPSA and IDPA, the majority of folks we attract at SEG tend to use stock or production guns; I have personally been using a bone-stock Smith and Wesson 9mm (the regular 5" gun) with the stock sights. I did not want to buy another holster for it so I am using an Uncle Mike's kydex holster that is intended for the Glock (I found that the S&W fits just fine). When most of my guns were in storage during a recent move, I used an old Glock 17 that I bought years ago for GSSF competition - it is also fairly close to stock though I added metal sights & some "skate-board" grip tape to the grip, as well as a lighter Glock striker spring & connector.

As far as the IDPA side, my good friend Jay runs an excellent IDPA competition and he regularly attracts folks who shoot the exact same gun that they carry; IDPA is set up just for such situations. Jay works there full time and if you ask for him, he can do the best job of explaining the competitions offered by SEG. We also have several 1911 fans and they have their own "Division" to compete in.

I guess my point is, nothing fancy is required to shoot (and win) either USPSA or IDPA at our match. Sure, we do have a few folks who shoot in the more "exotic" divisions with high dollar "race guns" (dots & all), but they are relatively rare at SEG.

Hope to see you at a SEG shoot sometime soon.

Douglas

Douglas, could you send me a pm with instructions on how to get on a monthly match announcement list, assuming there is a monthly announcement.

Thanks

My pleasure: I'll post this match announcement info for the benefit of anyone that wants to shoot USPSA, IDPA, 2 or 3gun at SEG:

Simply go to the Silver Eagle website:

Silvereagle-group.com

Then go to the top bar, and click on "Training" then select "Schedule" from the drop down menu.

You can also sign up for the email updates at the bottom of the page linked above.

The procedure for match sign up has been to simply call Silver Eagle's main phone line no sooner than 2 weeks before the scheduled match and request a slot from the folks running the front desk (then handle sign-up for us).

If the squad you want is full, please ask to be added to the stand-by list, since it has been common to have a few folks sign up who can't make the shoot due to emergencies.