Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chukar season

2MoreChains

It's that time of year again! I was afraid shooting multi-gun was going to mess up my wing shooting, but I think it might have actually helped somewhat... Opening weekend went well. I just ate, burp, half my birds. Marinated in olive oil, rolled in bread crumps, then sautéed until golden brown.

The bird population is still low in my area, but better than it has been for the last two years. Plus my Boxer has finally learned to retrieve without semi-masticating...

Edited by 2MoreChains

It's that time of year again! I was afraid shooting multi-gun was going to mess up my wing shooting, but I think it might have actually helped somewhat... Opening weekend went well. I just ate, burp, half my birds. Marinated in olive oil, rolled in bread crumps, then sautéed until golden brown.

The bird population is still low in my area, but better than it has been for the last two years. Plus my Boxer has finally learned to retrieve without semi-masticating...

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

Just the thought of your dog retreiving and drooling to bite that bird cracks me up. Thanks for the recipe as I have a friend who is always asking if I want some every year. This is the only thing I've said no to. Not any more.

I'll admit that I didn't really like eating chukar until a friend gave me that recipe. It changed my whole outlook. Previously I would broil them whole or in pieces, but found that dries them out too much and makes them tough. So now I fillet the breasts and cut out the thigh meat prior to rolling in bread crumbs. About 2-3 minutes of saute-ing in moderate heat per side. I take them out when slightly pink and juicy inside. Any longer than that and they dry out. Very tasty! 4 birds will feed one hungry guy.

Plus filleting the breasts helps to ensure there are no pellets to bite down on. At least it's lead, but # 7 1/2 or #6 still hurts when you chomp down on them!

My favorite bird to hunt in the Pallisades outside wenatchee and canyon country between yakima and ellensburg. Always running into quail or hungarians. Spend a day hiking great country by yourself. Cant beat it. Had some biguns over by Mt. Borah. Yayup.