Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noobie EAA frame/slide/barrel questions

Handgunnr

Lurking here for a while trying to learn more about the EAA platform for starting at least one, and now that I'm getting hooked on these guns, maybe more new builds. Thanks for all the great info and advice ya'll so freely share. Forgive my ignorance as some of these questions may seem to have obvious answers.

I've looked at the pics over and over but without having access to the different frames in my hands at the same time (no one locally has any EAA in stock), I can't figure out some very minor/basic differences between them.

Is checkering on the frame for all the square trigger guard guns "raised" or "cut"? Meaning, is the smallest depth of the grip on these less than the frame of the match which doesn't have the checkering? I'm used to 1911 SS and STI/SV platforms but I find the smaller grips more comfortable to my hands. I really like the price of the Matches I've found on line and am leaning this direction but I would move up to the square trigger guard frames if they would be smaller after grinding off the checkering. I'm not a fan of the square trigger guard, but my goal is to get the grip as small as possible and either hand stipple or cut minor inlays for grip tape within the frame and Henning's grips. Are the square guard and round guard elite frames the same material/quality?

I've read contrary opinions back and forth between using caliber conversion kits on the "elite series" frames. Some have said this is not the case but I would assume, with smithing, I could simply fit a more compact slide to the match I intend to buy for a bit more portability. I'm not a big guy and I find my Commanders are about the upper size limit of what I can effectively carry discretely in my average climate but I also spend a lot of time with a gun on my hip open carry in my rural area. It would be nice to have the match slide or compact slide as I wish. The availability of the conversion kits and variety of the choices are one of my motivations of this platform. That coupled with what seems to be an exceptional value for the dollar all around.

Is there a reason why some of the Witness models use cone/bull bbl lockup and others do not? I've preferred the bull barrel for a while now but am also a believer you can get at least as good accuracy with a bushing too (I've got both types of 1911's and my C&S Hi-Power uses a bushing). I'm curious why one manufacturer would not use all cone/bull or all straight...and why no bushing on any of them? Forgive my ignorance here, I'm long time 1911 snob who's bought and sold my fair share of guns that all fell short of Browning's design imho. Again, I'm leaning towards the Match for numerous reasons but wonder if I'd be better off 1) starting with a model with a cone/bull or 2) adding a bushing or cone/bull to the match.

So far, unless I learn something otherwise in the next week or so, my plan is to buy a Match in .38S that I've found a deal on, put in Henning's firing pin, reduced hammer spring, and thin grips, strip and polish trigger bow misc parts etc. (no hammer/sear change yet) for a bit better trigger. Shoot the snot out of it for a couple of weeks to make sure I want to continue to put money in it as I have planned. Next up would be to have Canyon Creek install EGW sear/hammer parts, put on a set of XS adjustable big dot sights and if necessary a better barrel and or lockup to enhance accuracy and longevity of the accuracy. After seeing the pics of Rich's and JoshF's on the slide cuts/lightening, I know I'll have to do some of that trick stuff too.

Thanks for your input...

Point taken Brit...I incorrectly assumed someone might know the frame differences off the top of their head.

Any input on:

"Is there a reason why some of the Witness models use cone/bull bbl lockup and others do not? I've preferred the bull barrel for a while now but am also a believer you can get at least as good accuracy with a bushing too (I've got both types of 1911's and my C&S Hi-Power uses a bushing). I'm curious why one manufacturer would not use all cone/bull or all straight...and why no bushing on any of them? Forgive my ignorance here, I'm long time 1911 snob who's bought and sold my fair share of guns that all fell short of Browning's design imho. Again, I'm leaning towards the Match for numerous reasons but wonder if I'd be better off 1) starting with a model with a cone/bull or 2) adding a bushing or cone/bull to the match."