Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon .223 Decapper

About 300 pieces of brass (LC) on my new .223 Dillon sizing die/decapper and I have broken the decapping pin.

How common is this?

Looks a lot sturdier than the other brands but I managed to break it. Any suggestions on avoiding or minimizing ruining decappers (hopefully other than don't be such a dumbass..)

Edited by Merlin Orr

Merlin: Was there any crap in the bottom of the case that caused the pin to get pushed off center? I sized over 3600 cases with my Dillon carbide sizer with no problems on the RL-1050. I have only broken 1 pin on a 9mm die that had some corn cob in the bottom of the case pushing the pin over to the side and then breaking the pin. Thanks, Eric

Merlin: Was there any crap in the bottom of the case that caused the pin to get pushed off center? I sized over 3600 cases with my Dillon carbide sizer with no problems on the RL-1050. I have only broken 1 pin on a 9mm die that had some corn cob in the bottom of the case pushing the pin over to the side and then breaking the pin. Thanks, Eric

Well... I put a Redding decapper in the Dillon Carbide die and started again... Got around a thousand decapped (and still going) with one Redding pin which is much lighter built than the Dillon offering. Must have been some trash in the case...?

My Dillon trimmer is working out OK now that I turned it down a tad lower. Cuts are ok and it is leaving very little slag around the case mouth...