Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice Stage

JFD

I was replying to another thread when I had a moment of thought clarity.

I've been practicing a simple 24 round, 4 array stage to help with my movement and shooting on the move. Turns out (thinking about it now) that 100% of my time on that stage is spent either shooting on the move, or performing a super fast reload in no more than 2 steps or so. I'm doing it all at the same speed, which is the fastest speed that I can get all "A" hits at no more than 7 yards, Or whatever the heck will give me the highest hit factor (I start out looking for "A"s, then start trying to increase the hit factor). What might serve me better is fewer targets and more "dead time" where I just need to move from point A to point B.

The practice stage has helped my match performance, so I must have REALLY sucked before. You know, thinking about it once again, I DO increase my movement speed trying for that elusive higher hit factor, so the practice hasn't been wasted. The problem is just that I never have enough "dead time" to break into a run. In stages where actual running is needed, I suck. High points but low hit factor.

I've got 25 yards to work with in our practice bay. I'm thinking I should practice my original 4 array stage to keep working on speedy reloads and shooting on the move quickly. THEN I should pull the targets on the middle two arrays in order to create "dead time" with the intention of hauling ass between arrays. I think this is a good plan.

On alternate practice days I set up CM 99-4 (American Standard) mainly to improve my weak hand and strong hand skills. I also feel this is good for reaction time training and calling my shots. I really sucked shooting this classifier earlier this year, so I figured it was a good thing to practice. In weak/stronghand stages I have definitely improved. Sunday I'll be shooting the very similar(skills anyway) CM 99-17 (It's All In The Upper Zone) and will see what happens.

My improvement has been kind of slow this year. My main problem(?) is that I've mainly just shot my own matches, where I tend to design 80% of the stages to prey on my weaknesses in order to force me to get better. Between all the work I put into being MD and the fact that the match is "out to get me", the fun factor is low. This month there's lots of steel (I'm guilty of listening for the hit too many times) and lots of movement. Again, I think this is a good plan and so far has kept the stages challenging for all shooters.

In 2004 I want to get to more USPSA matches besides my own in order to increase my experience level and hopefully the fun factor as well. I'll be shooting my first big match for sure.

Are you looking for "sprint" speed? If so, find a track coach. B) If not keep reading.

If you take a look at all the top shooters that are in good shape you will notice that the first step they take is very explosive. That first step will be the same for going 15 feet or 20 yards. I would recommend practicing your first step. The moment you confirm an acceptable last shot (when the sight leaves the notch) you should leaving. Depending on the shot you should be able to preload (kind of like a spring under tension). When I'm shooting my best, I look like I'm off to the races after each position. :blink:

I would recommend setting up some arrays that require 4-5 yards movement between them. Practice leaving the positions. When that feels like second nature, then start focusing on entering a position. That's a whole different story.

Keep up the practice. You seem like you are organized which is more than most of us can say.

Tom