Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much to shorten a DMW EZ Loader ?

StealthyBlagga

I have been running a Remington 11-87 with a DMW EZ Loader for many many years. After installing the EZ Loader, I left it at its original length and it works just fine. However, I have a spare EZ Loader that I am thinking about shortening to see if I like it better that way. Could those of you who run shortened EZ Loaders tell me how much you cut off its length (or what your current length is) ? Do you agree that the shortened EZ Loader is better, or do you wish you had left it full length ? Any other wisdom, such as how to profile the end of the EZ Loader once it is shortened, would be great too.

I would guess I removed about a 1/2" to 5/8"? I used a belt sander to radius the tip then finished with fine sandpaper. I also had to narrow it to fit a 20 gauge. I can't compare it to a fullsize because I cut it down before I even tried it in the gun. It has worked 100% and I don't feel like more ramp would help guide the shell any better. It doesn't hang down as far so there is less chance of it snagging on something. I've fumbled a reload before and didn't push the shell all the way in and the cut-down EZLoader caught the shell, which I then pushed back in with the next shell. The loading gate on a 20 is really small so the extra room for my thumb helps.

Picture of EricW's cutdown EZLoader here. Looks like its cut down even more than mine.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=EZloader

Edited by Filishooter

On a 1100 I use for Sportsman's Team challenge/ Sporting Clays, I cut mine down almost 1/2 it's length to reduce the weight and prevent wear on the pin.

If you want to shorten it, the only thing you have to watch is when you have a full gun. When you go to put one more in and it stops short, make sure you don't cut the EZ Loader any shorter than that distance.

If you do, and you mistakenly go to load another, it will start to go in the tube, go past the EZ Loader which will spring up, blocking the round from coming back out of the mag tube.