Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XTR repair tip?

Beretta Lover

maybe this is for gunsmithing, but it's not a gun.

My XTR was bought used and the reticle brightness died pretty much as soon as I got it.

I returned it to Burris and it came back with the brightness working at the top 4 settings on the brightness dial (no biggie)

I also noticed that there is s tiny screw on the bell of the scope at the rear end (near the shooters eye) that has backed out enough to look like it will eventually fall out over time (plus I dont know what that tiny screw does but Im guessing its necessary)

Does anyone know where I can find al allen wrench small enough for this screw? It is probably smaller than .0250 or even .0125, my .050 wrench is twice as big.

I tried turning down an allen wrench late last night and it idnt work out

I thought maybe someone here had run into this before.

I didnt want to send the scope back and be without it if I can avoid it

Honestly, I would work with them to get a replacement. There is no reason to pay good money for something that isn't 100%. I have the same scope and had some of the same issues. It is unfair to be without something you paid in full for while they figure out their QC issues.

Still pissed about mine so pardon my enthusiasm...

Edited by GIO

I called and e mailed Burris today and one of their partners asked me to send my XTR to him directly and that he would fix it or replace it in short order.

With FB3G coming up I need to start practice in high order, so hopefully I can get it back soon.

The little shooting I have done with it confirms that with a 20in A2 barrel it is nearly spot on out to 300 with 62gr ammo

In the meantime I can run around the basement jamming dummy shells into the Benelli

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the XTR 1-4 back from Burris and it appears to be properly repaired this time.

The little screw that was backing out of the rear objective bell/eye peice was screwed back in.

The reticle is much brighter, and crisper.

The repair order said "rebuilt reticle assembly"

This is a drastic improvement over my first attempt to get it fixed the first time.

I'm glad I hung in there with the Burris it looks like it wiill make a great <400 yd optic for 3 gun, the hash marks looked spot on the firsst time I zeroed it