Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18" Barrel Gas System - SPR/Rifle or Mid Length

bthp

I prefer the rifle length system for the smoothest possible impulse. I have a 17" and 18" barrel with rifle length gas. It is very smooth and forgiving and tracks extremely well when coupled with a Titan comp.

Mid length works well also. Now there is also an intermediate length which is in between the mid length and rifle length. Mostly in use by Noveske.

I prefer the mid length on any barrel 16" or less.

You just want to avoid the carbine length systems.

I use a 18 inch barrel with the rifle length gas using a PRI adjustable gas block. I run a rifle length free float tube and the gas block isn't hidden under the free float tube. I like this because I can easily adjust it. Now my buddy runs a midlength gas system on a 16 inch barrel with a rifle length free float tube, but he has vents in his free float tube so even though his gas block is under the handguard, he can still adjust it.

The orininal AR was designed to be rifle length, and by going with rifle length, you are getting cooler gas (temp) and smoother recoil impulse compared to the carbine length. The midlength is the middle grounds and works better on 16 inch barrels compared to the carbine.

I'm on my second 18 inch upper with rifle length gas systems and I really like them. I had a 16 inch with carbine length and it was much more violent. My buddy has a 16 inch with a midlength that I shot at a match and it shoots like a dream, but its had lots of work done to it.

Basically I think the rifle length is better, but the midlength is still really nice. If you are going to go with an 18 inch barrel you might as well get all that you can out of it.

What barrel are you planning on getting because stuff is out of stock all over the place, its probably worth buying whatever you can get your hands on?