Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Exercise for Oldsters

Graham Smith

Then listen to your Dr, most of them live to the ripe old average age of 58!

That's a myth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11020591?dopt=Abstract

While on average Physicians might not be highly trained in the field of exercise, we should not discount what they do know, which is a lot. And as the link shows they tend to live as long or longer than average. Most professionals do.

Gram,

Just walking 45 minutes per day will likely give you the boost you need. My wife tried the Netflix videos and ended up purchasing the Jerri Love tapes. My wife is in excellent shape and does the videos 4 times per week in 1 hour intervals.

I found you really can't go wrong with any improvement in your fitness. As the Nike saying goes, Just do It!

Just walking 45 minutes per day will likely give you the boost you need. My wife tried the Netflix videos and ended up purchasing the Jerri Love tapes. My wife is in excellent shape and does the videos 4 times per week in 1 hour intervals.

Your definition of in shape is obviously quite different from others who've posted on this thread.

Work capacity across broad time and modal domains is where it's at.

Everyone is different and you have to find out what works for you. I am a 56 year old, cancer survivor, and I can still spank the young kids when it comes to shooting and moving.

Like my 90 year old uncle tells me all the time, look you little bas@#%d, you don't get in shape, you STAY in shape.

Our sport is more physical than shooting. Like Phil Strader once said, the order of importance: Physical conditioning, gun handling, and then shooting ability.

Target the muscles you use which are mainly core muscles. You do not have to go out and run 3 miles to get in shape. The most important leg muscles are the inside obliques (inside of thighs) these are the muscles which give you the explosive power in and out of boxes and from a dead start. Work these by doing box drills (jump from flat feet up on an object and down) or by biking. Not pleasure pedaling, but like Bicycle Motocross Pedaling. Short intense exercise, take a break and repetition. Lots of pushups, situps and pullups.

I recommend using dumb bells for shrugs, curls, and military press and if you have a bench then the various bench exercises for strength.

Physical endurance is great, but we spend most of the time pasting targets, and sitting on our asses getting ready to shoot a stage of fire that only last for a few seconds. Endurance will get you thru the day, but you have to train in fast intense sessions that replicate the intenstity of a stage/course of fire. Sit down when you are not busy taping, etc. Conserve energy!!

If you want to run, I recommend wind sprints over distance running. Again you HAVE to replicate what you do at a match. Quick bursts of speed. I found that when I ran for distance, it does not develpe the fast twitch muscles. You have got to develope the muscles the way you use them in a competition. Cross training is great, but just how much time do you have to train. Prioritize your traing and stick with it.

You just gotta have the comittment to do it. What are your goals? Is the shooting important enough that you take your fat ass out and accomplish getting in shape and staying in shape. Not implying that you are a fat ass, just a means of expression.

Later,

Jack Travers

PS: F@#k Tai Chi. When was the last time you did tai chi at a match?? Get your ass out and work

Geez...don't sugar coat it! :cheers:

I am on day 68 of P-90X. I was very skeptical at first but I must say that it not only makes me feel better, has gotten me back in shape, but it has also improved my shooting. Anything that builds the core (as already mentioned) will help a great deal.

The best thing is that you don't have to be Mr Universe to start. You know your limits and maintain them. I know you asked about a couple of other things like Tai Chi but these other ideas are worth looking into and I believe would hold your interest a little longer.

Edited by Bigpops

Gentlemen,

In my nearly 60 years of life (20 in the Army and 6 in Europe), I have hiked, biked, run, walked, marched, done aerobics, done weight lifting, done karate, done akido, climbed mountains, done adventure training, taught rappelling and rope climbing to firemen, was just a couple months away from becoming a divemaster when I had a sinus blowout, and I've been expedition caving in the deepest cave in the world . So, grant me that I know just a tiny little bit about fitness training .

But right now, I just want to know if anyone here knows anything about Tai Chi. If not then could you please take all the rest of this (possibly well meaning) discussion some place else.

Edited by Graham Smith

Graham,

Tai Chi will limber and relax you. I am a martial arts Grand Master and practiced Tai Chi for a few years with my wife. Based on your "original stated goal" this excercise could get you to your goal, unlike the cap gun example mentioned above.

Tai Chi will limber and relax you.

Which is basically what I am looking to do. Thanks. Are you aware of any books or DVDs that might give me an overview. I'm aware of the Carradine DVDs but don't exactly consider him to be an expert on the subject. It's too easy for anyone to hang out a shingle claiming to be an expert these days.

I was taking classes and don't know of any books or DVD to recommend, but am sure they are out there to be had.

Side note - the parents of one my my neighbors (his and her Drs.) are Chinese. They are in their 90's and practice Tai Chi everyday outside if it is not raining or snowing. They are in great shape and also walk the neighborhood daily.

Good luck on your fitness journey!

Tai Chi will limber and relax you.

Which is basically what I am looking to do. Thanks. Are you aware of any books or DVDs that might give me an overview. I'm aware of the Carradine DVDs but don't exactly consider him to be an expert on the subject. It's too easy for anyone to hang out a shingle claiming to be an expert these days.

Try some of the follow links for info. Yahoo or Google search will turn many more.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14226-ta...n=yssp_Articles

http://www.everyday-taichi.com/

MDA

Yahoo or Google search will turn many more.

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. The problem with the internet anymore is that 80% of what you get is unmitigated crap. You need to spend hours and hours sorting through it to weed out all the mis-information.

Ask yourself this: If you wanted suggestions on a new dvd player, would you trust the answers you got here more or less than those you found from a random search on the internet.

I asked here first in case there was someone who had some good information on Tai Chi. I've done the internet search thing and looked at a few of the 10 zillion pages and am starting to winnow the wheat from the chaff.

Edited by Graham Smith