Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So...uhmmm, Who's 100% In Revolver?

Liota

Patrick, what I mean is that Jerry worked very hard to be as good as he is now. All I have to say to other revolver shooters is: Work hard and you can become as good. It is wishful thinking. But it's also NOT falling into the trap of self fulfilling prophecy as most revolver shooters do.

Most revolver shooter have the idea they can never become as good a shooter as Jerry. That's a load of brown stuff. With that mentality, you'll probably never be as good as him. Let alone better. Just read the foreword in that little blue book that our great host sells. If you think you'll never make it, you won't.

Right now, I'd probably score about 75% of Jerry. I've had my revolver for 2 years now. I'm 25 and I'm going to work my butt off in this game. I see Jerry as an inspiration. Just as he saw Ed McGivern as an inspiration at one time (or maybe still does). And it would piss me off if I would be measured against "lesser gods" because other people decide I can never be as good this other guy who started out just like everybody else. I want to play with the big dogs, even if it means they'll kick my ass severely every now and then (prolly more now than then ;))

Sorry if this whole thing comes across like a big rant. Believe me, it's not. I just wish people would just go out there and give it their best shot, instead of limiting themselves like this.

So I repeat; "what one man can do, another can do"

Guys, the problem is that the classifier database for revolver is just so small that it is not possible to come up with a meaningful HHF by averaging the top 10 scores. I got that straight from Sedro. I wouldn't be suprised if there are some classifiers that haven't even been shot 10 times. OTOH, if we use Jerry as the standard, the vast majority of revolver shooters in the game today would be D class shooters.

My pet peeve is to see standards lowered to make the masses feel good about themselves. The only thing worse than lowering standards is the setting of standards through arbitrary methods. The system as it now stands is flawed more than any non-revolver shooter could imagine.

Spook:

If you could shoot 75% as well as Jerry across the board, you would be the second best revolver shooter in USPSA today. That's pretty darned good.

Ron, LOL. Problem is, I've never faced Jerry in a match :( The only "reference" I have is to see how I did against other guys he competed against and tapes/DVD's.

This is very unscientific (and people who claim that my 75% statement is a crock get my blessing :)). And I'm reluctant to put out numbers and percentages like that, until I shot a match with him. But there are guys like Daniel Roch and Herman Kirchweger who can reach the 90% in matches Jerry attends. I'm sure of that.

Remember that IPSC is not just about splits and draws. There are for instance guys who can shoot (a lot) faster (in splits) than Eric G. But he keeps winning.

My pet peeve is to see standards lowered to make the masses feel good about themselves.

Thanks Ron, that is, in one sentence, what I was trying to say before.

spook:

I am not saying your 75% is a crock. On the contrary, your scientific wild assed guess would put you right in there with Bitow (second place over here) and that's pretty good. From your other posts I don't doubt that you could do it because I think we have comparable skill sets.

Now, if we used Jerry's ability to set the bar, that would put you right in the bottom of A class or top of B class. That makes Pat's point really well. Welcome to B class kid, lol.

Now, if we used Jerry's ability to set the bar, that would put you right in the bottom of A class or top of B class. That makes Pat's point really well. Welcome to B class kid, lol.

LMAO, I'd be glad to start out in USPSA B class. It would motivate me to get the hell outta there :P

I am not saying your 75% is a crock.

Worry not. I know you don't Ron ;)