Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard action or bad ammo?

GlockFla

Hello all. I am new to this forum and look forward to any help I can get.  I have a Glock 23 .40 cal. The gun is great and I have put 800 rds through it. I usually shoot Sellier & Bellot ammunition for the range. I have had a problem lately though. The casing has 2 large concave dents along the open lip of the shell. I noticed that it made one small dent in the past, but the last 200 rds have been consistantly damaged. Has anyone seen or heard of this before? The RO at my local range has never experienced this before...and accredited it to the ammo. However Im not sure. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Feel free to email me if you wish. Thanks

It sounds to me like your recoil spring is wearing out. G23s tend to get beat up pretty fast. Most gun companies chambering their 9mm sized guns for .40 S&W compensate for the more powerful cartridge with a combination of heavier slide and more powerful recoil spring. Strangely enough, on the G23 there's been no attempt to damp slide velocity by beefing up the slide, and, at least when I was heavily into Glocks several years ago, the G23 used the exact same recoil spring as the G19. Replacing the recoil spring unit - and the things are easily and cheaply available - should cure the problem.

• 3 weeks later...