Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Gap (glocks New Offering)

Flexmoney

I now understand that they've changed the G37 to a G21 slide sitting on top of a G17 size frame, and I can't believe how they screwed this up, especially since neither of their sport/combat holsters is designed to hold such a hybrid.

Actually, I like that. It shows Glock was very concerned about the cycle reliability and long-term durability of the gun.

Are you serious, Vince? I saw it at the GSSF match that was in CA earlier this year. Definitely had a 17-sized slide with a THIN barrel.

If that thing is now completely disproportionate... double UGH!

PASS!

I handled one earlier today. Yes, the slide is slightly wider than the frame, but it didn't seem ill-balanced or unwieldy to me at all.

Why make a round that already shoots as flat as the rainbow even shorter and decrease case capacity? Did they make them small primer (to avoid brass sorting troubles?

No. It's because the .45 GAP case rim is slightly rebated (smaller than the case body). There wouldn't be much metal around the primer for the ejector to hit if they'd used a large pistol primer. They were worried about the ejector hitting the edge of a large pistol primer and causing a detonation when racking an empty out of the chamber.

I'm hoping that this may open up the door for other offerings, say a Beretta 92 model in .45 GAP. Now that's something I'd like to see.

It's not gonna happen. The B92 locking block system requires thick slabs of steel on either side of the barrel, in which are cut channels for the "drop lock" (as John Farnam likes to call it) to move during the slide stroke. In a caliber larger than .40, such a gun would too big and heavy to be a practical carry/police duty sidearm. Many people think the B92 is already pushing it. You'll notice that when Beretta wanted to build a .45 they went to a totally different design. There is a reason for that.

Why didn't Glock simply offer a .45 with the grip already reduced? I think you're right, Vince, on the GGG (the Great Gaston Glock) wanting to have a caliber designated Glock. I love his guns, but this marketing strategy leaves a bit to be desired, in my book.

Because many people love Glocks. Many people love the .45 ACP. Unfortuately the Glock 21 (and even the 30, being built around an identically fat magazine) have grips too big for most people's hands. If there were some way to combine the two in a gun the average person could wrap their mitts around, they would be a great demand for the gun.

The long overall length of the .45 ACP has always mandated it be chambered in a large frame gun. Even the bitty 1911s are just large frame guns that have been chopped at barrel, slide and butt. A shorter round could be fit into medium framed guns considerably smaller in size. And, if the round takes off, it will be. Many people will find that attractive.

Frankly, my concern is how well such a short, fat cartridge will feed. Since I have an assignment to write the thing up for Gun World, all I can say is: we shall see.

I've shot both the *original* version with the 17-profile slide and the fat slide version...felt like a .40 to me, with maybe a tiny bit less *slap."

Glock 1911?

They swear to me never never never never in a million billion years. Of course, I've got my SIG 1911 already on order, and I'm waiting to see the H-K production proto...one never knows, does none?

Well, Uma Thurmond knows...

Michael B