Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Woes

Merlin Orr

I have always been told not to drop the slide from slidelock with out a round in the mag to load. So - I never do it.. untill today - with my SS .45. The hammer went right down with it. Actually it went to half cock. The gun runs perfectly in all regards except this. Whats up? :huh:

How long has it been since it was cleaned? I had a gun for a while that would due what you are describing after about 500 rounds.

Eventually the gun started doubling.

Now to what my problem was and what your solution might be.

So it got a new sear installed. All the problems, including cleaning sensitivity went away.

Also grit and grease can get into the area of the sear and allow it to slip.

That was my problem, a true 1911 guru might be able to diagnose something else.

The only time the hammer followed the slide on one of my 1911's, it was my fault. I had re-assembled the sear spring incorrectly. I am not expert enough to describe how to do it right; I took it to a smith who fixed it, no charge. Next time I will look real close how it comes apart, maybe take a picture. :)

Lee

Im no guru, but if the trigger was depresed whilst releasing the slide and the hammer followed before you allowed the trigger to reset , it could be the adjustment screw in the trigger.

Try adjusting it.

If the trigger was not depressed and the hammer followed it may be the leaf spring tension on the sear.

Hope you sort it out.

I have always been told not to drop the slide from slidelock with out a round in the mag to load. So - I never do it.. untill today - with my SS .45. The hammer went right down with it. Actually it went to half cock. The gun runs perfectly in all regards except this. Whats up? :huh:

You are correct that it is very bad practice to make a habit of dropping the slide from lockback on an empty mag because it tears up the lower barrel lugs, slide stop pin, and trigger parts. That said, many smiths will do it once or twice after a trigger job because it is a worst-case test for seeing if a hammer will follow, exactly as your hammer is following.

The reason is that with no ammo, the slide whacks into battery with maximum velocity (therefore, shock) which would jar the hammer off the sear if the engagement angle was marginal.

As you know, normal firing doesn't jar the gun as much as an empty drop, and your gun is still working OK during normal firing... but, it could be close to doubling. I'd want to look at the hammer and sear faces for wear or rounding. The sear spring in yours might be weak, but a well cut trigger/sear set will not follow at very light sear spring pressures so I suspect there could be a problem with your trigger group parts.

Im no guru, but if the trigger was depresed whilst releasing the slide and the hammer followed before you allowed the trigger to reset , it could be the adjustment screw in the trigger.

When the slide is locked back, the disconnector will be held below the sear feet, preventing the trigger from exerting any force on the sear. Even if you hold the trigger down and drop the slide, the trigger is "disconnected" from being able to push back against the sear.

The screw in the face of a 1911 trigger is an overtravel adjustment. I do not believe it could possibly cause a hammer follow regardless of how far or which way it was mis-adjusted.

Thanks to all for the replies. The gun has less than 1 thous. rounds through it - pro built by a quality smith with all STI internal parts except a Capsian frame. Has about a 3 lb trigger. I have to confess I do not feel comfortable trying to do anything to the trigger group myself. Guess I will have to wait till I get home to TX and let my friend Dwayne check it out. :( Thanks again.

MerlinD turn in your trigger over travel screw in 1/4 turn at a time to see if it makes a diference you can always turn it out again.

Just count how many turns you make.

You can turn it in untill the trigger wont release the hammer anymore then turn it out 1/4 turn at a time till it just fires.Then give it 1/2 to 3/4 turn out and locktite the screw.

The overtravel screw can cause hammer follow because if the trigger bow goes too far back it pushes the disconector too far back,the thing cams and jams causing the hammer to follow when the slide is released . trigger depressed.

Do the test with a empty mag in place

NO LIVE AMMO ANY WHERE NEAR YOU.

all this only applies if the hammer is following the slide with the trigger depressed.

Recently had a problem with a gun the shop I work at sold a guy. I have never liked the idea of dropping the slide from the stop on any semiauto pistol, it always seemed a daft thing to do.

This old Springfield has seen lots of rounds, we cleaned and checked the pistol over and missed that one. The customer went to show clear at the club and he left a round in the chamber. He dumped the slide from lock and BANG.

Everybody near needed new shorts but no one hurt, see why we aim the pistol at the back stop. It appears the previous owner had had a neat trigger job done by a plumber or something and it was a little less than perfect, once the pistol got dirty it started acting up. After duplicating the problem easily, I started by replacing the bent sear spring, it still followed, then came a new sear, still followed, then a new hammer. No problems now.

It only did it when the trigger was not pressed, press the trigger and it would not follow under any cercumstances. Must be something in the disconnector / trigger arrangement that bountyhunter described.

But pistol works 100% (subject to the adjustment of the nut behind the butt).