Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recoil buffer

gunner40sw

Has anyone ever tried one of the Fire Dragon recoil buffers in a 1911 to reduce felt recoil. I ran across their website and they claim it will reduce recoil by 40 to 50 percent. I would assume that if they do work it would still be legal in the SS division

Lots of guys that have been around for a while remember way back when I shot for Sprinco USA. Always posting something somewhere about Sprinco guiderods this and Sprinco guiderods that. Always at major events fitting and tuning springs with the Sprinco system.

We did tons of studies and tests (some more formal than others) and systems like Sprinco guiderod can in fact reduce felt recoil. The Firedragon is little more than an exact copy of the general design and while I have not held one, if it is a quality design and if it works correctly the shooter can benefit from the action in several ways.

I never set the Sprinco up to reduce felt recoil so much as I set it up to be able to run lighter springs and not beat up the gun. My best finish at Area 2 for example I ran a 5.5 lb spring. Super fast but a lot of straight back impulse. I've seen test results from a lab that showed huge reductions in recoil when systems were set up in bullseye guns.

They used to not be legal in IDPA because they "give the shooter a competative advantage". The Sprinco guiderod is not always a drop in fit and function, but in my experience in terms of reliability and performance the concept has always been worth the effort.