Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping Ammo back home from Nats

bbbean

Assuming I can shoot the nats with fewer than the 600 rounds I'm sending out, where should I drop the package to send it back? If I use MyUPS.com to print out return labels, will the match hotel allow us to leave them at the desk for a UPS pickup?

The airlines allow up to 11lbs, which will cover 250 rounds of 180gr 40 S&W with room to spare. If you bring 600 rounds, chances are you'll be well under the 11lb limit for the return trip.

I've considered that, but depending on how full my bag is and what it weighs with clothes, gun, and gear, I'm a little worried about having an overweight bag. Those $50 weight penalties can make UPS shipping look pretty cheap!

Fly with it back home. You shouldn't be near a bag weight limit. The worst match I fly for with regards to gear/equipment is Fort Benning 3-Gun and if you're pushing the weight limit on bags...get another bag. Not counting my Pelican holding the long guns, I fly with 2 bags and 1 carry on.

Hopefully you're flying SWA out of STL or KCI, as they're the most gun friendly/educated airline.

Worst case. Put it in a brown box, find the local UPS Store (although there's probably a FedEx depot at the airport) and then send it home. Flying is just so much easier though.

Th

You can't ship ammo from a UPS store, you need to go to the hub.

My bag going to Area 3 weighed 46 pounds, fortunately I didn't have too much ammo left over from that match.

I always fly Delta and they charge $15 to check ONE bag, I don't even know how much a second bag would be. And an overweight bag is $90.

I would call UPS's toll-free number and ask them where the hub is in Vegas (I would guess that it's likely to be near the airport....).

Edited by flyingchange

So I am guessing that since my Dad lives in Vegas, I should be able to ship all of my ammo to him via UPS and it will be all good to go?

Yep. You're fine.

As for not shipping at the UPS Store...hmmm....guess it comes down to how you ship it and whether or not you tell them what's in the box.

Rich

ETA: I've shipped ammo via UPS/FedEx from my office. ;)

Edited by uscbigdawg

So I am guessing that since my Dad lives in Vegas, I should be able to ship all of my ammo to him via UPS and it will be all good to go?

Yep. You're fine.

As for not shipping at the UPS Store...hmmm....guess it comes down to how you ship it and whether or not you tell them what's in the box.

Rich

ETA: I've shipped ammo via UPS/FedEx from my office. ;)

Cool, Thanks. T-VS