Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stock Glock trigger AFTER a Vanek

zipper046

Hey all,

I've been running a Vanek Super Trigger in my G35....LOVE IT! Minimal overtravel and pre-travel and a nice light CRISP trigger pull. Great addition for competition.

So, last Monday we ran an IDPA night. I decided to run my stock G22 (OK, has a stainless steel guide rod & 15lb spring, but otherwise stock). THe only trigger work was the .25 cent trigger job that I did (pretty much just polishing).

Surprise, surprise! I shot that stock trigger just as well as my Vanek! Accuracy was right there, speed was a bit slower than with the Vanek, but overall I actually LIKED the stock trigger!

I am surmising that shooting the custom trigger for awhile has improved my trigger control to the point that I can shoot either kind of trigger.

Just some food for thought......

z-

I am surmising that shooting the custom trigger for awhile has improved my trigger control to the point that I can shoot either kind of trigger.

It's a fairly common theme of people returning to stock as they get better. However I think just shooting in general probably improved your trigger control.

Glock triggers are Glock triggers. Charlie just uses the best paper clips and rubber bands money can buy. ;)

Yup! and those are some darn fine paper clips & rubber bands!! I still love Charlie's trigger and will leave it in my G35....but it's comforting to know that I can do just as well with a stock trigger for Production or IDPA shoots. ;-)

I switched from the Glockworx to a factory trigger (set at 5.5#) to shoot an IPSC match. It blew my timing to hell. On tight shots, I was fine- but the fast stuff was all over the place. I tend to do a deliberate pull on tighter shots and then slap it on the close stuff.

I switched from the Glockworx to a factory trigger (set at 5.5#) to shoot an IPSC match. It blew my timing to hell. On tight shots, I was fine- but the fast stuff was all over the place. I tend to do a deliberate pull on tighter shots and then slap it on the close stuff.

You bring up a good point. Charlies trigger has a real short reset on it. I feel this helped me develop good muscle memory for my trigger finger so that I only release the trigger to the point of reset instead of fully releasing and having some pre-travel. This has also helped to prevent me from slapping the trigger (I'm not saying this isn't a proper way to shoot....it works for many folks, just not the way I was taught).

With that said, now when I shoot a stock trigger (on any gun) it doesn't matter how much pre-travel there is...I dry fire the weapon first to see where the trigger reset is and how it feels and then just focus on the front sight and releasing that trigger only until it resets. I found myself doing this with the stock trigger in my G22 the other night.

z-

It's a fairly common theme of people returning to stock as they get better. However I think just shooting in general probably improved your trigger control.

I'll agree with you there. I had a Vanek trigger early on and while Vanek makes the best Glock trigger in my opinion.....I still ended up shooting the stock trigger faster and more accurately. A lighter Glock trigger such as the Vanek works better to mask those who slap or tend to lose touch with proper trigger manipulation. Once you reach a level to where your trigger manipulation skills are so subconcious.....you will find yourself liking the snappy return action of the Glock trigger. And I will say.....not everyone works the reset. There are some successful slappers. But successful slappers are in the very small minority.

My Glock triggers wear 25 cent trigger jobs with all factory springs and I add an overtravel screw to shorten the reset.

Never tried a Vanek, but I did run a Sotello trigger kit for a while. I missed the snappy trigger reset and ended up working back to stock one part at a time. I even ran a polished 5# connector in my G34 for a while. Now I'm running all stock internals except for a LWD connector. It has a more crisp break and reset to it than polished stock connectors IMO. My opinion is that a slicked up trigger might allow you to focus on other things, but with practice the stock trigger and a little polishing works fine. When I was shooting with a super duper whiz bang trigger, I was humbled more than once by better shooters running stock Glocks. You don't "need" to spend a lot of money on the trigger to shoot a Glock well, but if it makes you feel more comfortable maybe it's worth it. Sometimes I think I have to try things just to get past the mental blocks I place on my self. "If I only had a better trigger...no, that's not it; I still suck because I don't practice." :roflol:

The longer I shoot Glocks, the more I realize that trigger quality doesn't matter.....

There's a really great trigger in my primary limited gun -- it might be a Vanek, I don't know for sure -- there are various $.25 polish jobs in my production blasters, and stock triggers in my carry guns: they all allow me to hit the target with minimal effort....