Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help/input on a new reloading bench press placement

woods62

post-20505-1249678702_thumb.jpg

Above is the soon to be bench space I will have to work with. I can make the benches smaller if need be. Below are the reloading systems I will be using. I plan on reloading .223,.308 win,50 bmg, 9mm, 40sw. At some point I might pick up a .338 lapua, but that is a ways off. I will also have brass cleaner, and trimmers for the above calibers. I'm looking for guidance on how far to space the lee classic's apart and bench height for both. I'm 5'10" and my brother is 5'6" we both plan to reload seated that way our height won't be that much of a deal. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Press I will be using.

Dillon XL 650 with 650 Only Strong Mount

3x Lee Classic 50bmg Press

post-20505-1249678715_thumb.jpg

This is my idea of how to install the reloaders, I figured the dillon is about 18inx18in with all the attachments, and Lee Classic 50 bmg is 8inx4in. I'm thinking that 12 inches between lee classic, might be alittle small, since I have enough bench space I might wanna up it to 14-16 inches between press.

Thoughts?

Yeah... Like Roger says, I would spread 'em out a bit so you can put components for each one in arms reach without interfering with each other. You will have to reach the scale, have a big box of bullets, a dial caliper is going to need a place to sit, and so on. So leave a good deal more room between them.

As to height... I just built another reloading bench (the finish is still hardening on the benchtop!) and it was 32" high, (standard table top is about 28" I think, but you can measure) but I use a "high chair" instead of a standard one. You have the Strong Mount on the 650 (mine is attached directly to my other bench as I built it with an "overhang" to make that possible) and so your press will be higher. Any lower than a standard table top and you cant stand and do anything without strain, so I think no matter what, you are gonna need to go to Office Depot or some such place and get a high chair/lab chair with the foot rest on it so you can actually do stuff with your press. They are not that expensive and I think you will find it quite useful.

Edited by Justsomeguy

Oh... one more thing. I would not make the bench the full depth of the space you have there. If you are sitting at the press you will find you are only able to reach about 2 ft. to the back of the bench, so if you make it a full 3ft, you will have to get up every time you reach for something at the back of the bench... just something to think about. Measure it out when sitting and you'll see what I mean.

Don't forget to leave plenty of room for all components,reloading books,tools,tool heads etc... you will have for all the calibers you'll be loading, also where are you going to clean your brass? Next and most importantly the refrigerater.

Good luck,the whole room just from what you have planned so far looks great.

Marc

Don't forget to leave plenty of room for all components,reloading books,tools,tool heads etc... you will have for all the calibers you'll be loading, also where are you going to clean your brass? Next and most importantly the refrigerater.

Good luck,the whole room just from what you have planned so far looks great.

Marc

I agree with all the suggestions already posted. As a home builder, the gun safe door swing direction would be a concern. (just like refrigerator doors) If you do make the 650 bench narrower like Justsomeguy suggested, it would allow the door to be opened all the way to the right. Good luck, what a great room size for reloading. Do a search on bench design, there are some cool setups that people have on here. If there is a Habitat for Humanity Re-store in your area, that is a great place to look for cabinets that people have taken out of their kitchen when they remodel.

I'm with some of the others on this one. The depth is quite large. The standard countertop with backslash I used is only 25.5" deep. They are cheap too at around $10 a foot in 6,8 or 12' sections. I just reinforced mine between floor cabinets I used and the top in the pressmounting area. Only reason I could see for 3' would be something above it and I don't know if you would want something above the presses.

+1 vote on safe door driving you crazy :-)

Den

Build the benches shallow and put bulk storage elsewhere. the extra space behind the presses just fills up with crap. I did away with the Dillon Strong Mounts and built my own. I used a solid block of trex and bolted straihgt through to the bench. If I were building my one bench to start, I would build to a height that required no strong mount. I am considering doing that anyway and tilting hte bench top a few degrees so that nothing will stay on it. Make it just deep enough for the presses and put a gutter along the front to catch spills and mashed primers. Have significant shelves under and storage on a rack system across the room.

One other point, unless that gun safe is just a storage area for stuff you are working on, it is WAY TOO SMALL. Remember, no matter how big your safe is, you will need a bigger one, so start out big enough.

Jim