Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165 gr Rainier Major Load?

splashdown

I've been searching and haven't found exactly what I need.

I'm out of my usual 180 grain Masterblasters now and have a match next weekend with a chrono. I make 172 PF with the 180 MB with 4.2 grains of Ramshot Competition out of my 6" STI.

Yes I could just order some Bear Creek or BBI moly 180's, but I've been wanting to try these 165's out of the 6 inch gun.

How much Ramshot Competition (or N320) would I need to make 1000+ fps with the 165 gr Rainier?

I see VV lists a 165 grain FMJ with 5.1 gr N320 for 994 FPS (tested in a 5.5 inch barrel). That's close, but what should I expect in velocity differences between a FMJ and a copper plated Rainier? I'm guessing the Rainier may be about 30 FPS faster than a FMJ???

At first I was thinking 4.7 grains of powder. Now I'm thinking more like 4.9 gr.

Thanks in Advance,

splashdown

Bueller? Bueller? Has anyone seen Bueller?

Seriously? No one has anything?

I double checked the VV load data and it was 4.9 to make 994 fps from a 5.5 inch barrel with a 165 gr FMJ.

I'm back to thinking 4.7 gr will get me there. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

splashdown

I can't help with load data. However, when you get a load worked up with that 165 could you post what the load is and how it runs in your 6".

I've been running Clays with a 180 in my 6" and the slide is very slow and sluggish. A guy gave me some 135 grain Noslers running about 1400 fps with 3n37 and the sights just track perfectly with this load. It was obviously a bit harsh but I'm thinking about working up a load with a lighter bullet and slower powder to speed up my slide speed.

I'd be interested to hear what your results are. In the mean time I'm going to try and find some lighter weight bullets to try.

Chris

I will report back on Sunday after the match. I'll be using the gun with the faster barrel, just in case. ;)

Edited to Add:

Oh, and now after loading 300 rounds I decide to check the Rainier FAQ:

Q. What if I can't find load data for your bullets?

A. If you have a load for a cast lead bullet, that will transfer across the board as far as our bullets go. We recommend that you reduce

a load for a jacketed bullet by 10%.

4.9gr * 0.9 = 4.4gr to get 994 fps according to VV load data. So I'm betting I get 1050 fps for a PF of 173. It will be interesting to compare the feel and sight track to my 172 PF 180gr moly bullets.

Edited by splashdown