Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SteelMaster Question

born-in-45

Seems the STI SteelMaster shoots great using WWB 9mm ammo but even that gets expensive. Anybody shooting a SteelMaster using their own loads rather than WWB box ammo? If so, how about sharing your info. Also, does anyone know what powder Winchester uses in their 9mm WWB ammo?

Thanks

Edited by born-in-45

Generally, the factories are using powders we, as reloaders, can't get.

Chronograph the WWB in your gun, then go to the reloading Manuals and see what powders give the same sort of velocity, then load a series from low to high to test with the powders that look best with respect to matching the WWB velocity.

Guy

Guy, you may well be right about WWB not using a powder available to us. I weighed a cartridge and then broke it apart and reweighed it without the powder and it looks like it has about 5.9 grains of powder. Don't see a Winchester powder that is close to that amount of powder based on the bullet, oal, and velocity. Guess I'll start with a reduced load of my 9mm major powder and go from there.

Seems the STI SteelMaster shoots great using WWB 9mm ammo but even that gets expensive. Anybody shooting a SteelMaster using their own loads rather than WWB box ammo? If so, how about sharing your info. Also, does anyone know what powder Winchester uses in their 9mm WWB ammo?

Thanks

In my Steelmaster I'm using 5.3 gr IMR 7625 124gr M/Gold CMJ - OAL 1.155 Average Vel. 1089 Power Factor 135. This load seems to work the best in my Steelmaster