Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Sights

spook

Vince,

It would take me one trigger pull to determine if, for example, he was using an aftermarket striker (e.g. Lightning Strike) and it would only take me about 60 seconds to field strip and examine the internal workings of his gun to check compliance with the declared division.

I first did this "random" testing (e.g. I picked my prime suspect and three other guys who are above reproach), at our first Level III match in Hong Kong a few years ago. I found nothing unusual, but the message was delivered loud and clear

I am curious if you did this during the course of the match or after the match? If you did it during the match, what if on the very next stage the competitor's gun jammed and he claimed that you put it back together incorrectly? It's probably a stretch, but I'm curious how such a claim would be handled.

And going back a couple posts:

5) We prohibit "+2" basepads and similar devices (e.g. "+1" followers).

I am curious of the follower issue. I understand and agree with not allowing extended pads. But, what about shaving down the factory follower to gain and extra round? How 'bout this: the rules allow aftermarket mags that are the same dimensions as factory mags. I have two cheap aftermarket magazines for a Beretta. They are the same external dimensions as the factory mag. They are even listed as being 15 round magazines. However, I can stuff 17 rounds in them and they work ok. I have not modified the magazine in any way. Would this be allowed? What about cutting coils off the magazine spring to gain an extra round. How about this: I can put 18 rounds of 9mm in a factory Glock .40 mag and it works in a G17. Would this be allowed?

Thanks,

Bucky.

Bucky,

If and when I examine a competitor's gun, he field strips it, not me. I just look at the innards.

Swapping or modifying factory parts is not permitted. However if you can find aftermarket magazines which have the same external dimensions as the factory originals, but which hold more rounds (without "+2" basepads), these are permitted.

Bottom line - if you want to be a gunsmith or tinkerer, don't shoot Production Divsion ;)