Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB not dropping enough powder

g34

I have had an SDB for about 5 months, and have loaded close to three thousand rounds on it without any problems. I normally shoot 3.6 grains of titegroup, but today I noticed that the powder looked a little low in the piece of brass just before I was going to seat the bullet. I weighed it, and their were only 1.5 gr. in it. The next drop of powder was 3.6 gr. and the next was 1.4. What could be causing this? Also, if I happened to accidentally shoot one of these with only 1.5 gr. in it, do you think there would be enough powder for the bullet to exit the barrel?

Thanks,

Kevin

I've been using a SDB about 9 months. I'm curious about what turns out to be the issue. The most consistent aspect of my machine has been the powder drop. I did learn that if I screw the powder assembly on to the die too tightly, the powder drop did become inconsistent. Not as dramatically as you have described, but enough to be a problem. A snug fit seems to be the proper fit, not tight. Proviso-I bought my machine used and have learned about it on pretty much, a trial and error basis.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago and I think that the Part number 16814 Failsafe Rod was catching on the used primer catcher, so I turned the wingnut on the rod a bit and have been good to go ever since. I hope that this is your issue because it's an easy fix.

Check that the powder drop slider is returning fully to pickup the next load. I used to call it short-stroking of the slider. It can sometimes go back far enough to get some powder, but won't get a full load. I had this problem more with finer powders (SP2) because they would get into the mechanism bind up the slider. Some of the older SDB designs didn't have the safety interlock rod, and were spring driven back to home. They were more likely to bind. I don't remember enough about the safety interlock to remember if it always goes back home.

I would empty the hopper, remove the slider and clean everything. When using SP2, I used to remove the slider and blast it with some air every time I emptied the hopper.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago and I think that the Part number 16814 Failsafe Rod was catching on the used primer catcher, so I turned the wingnut on the rod a bit and have been good to go ever since. I hope that this is your issue because it's an easy fix.

This is what was wrong. I've noticed that that nut was loose before, but never had any problems with it. I just weighed 30 drops, and they were all 3.5-3.6.

Thanks a lot,

Kevin

This is what was wrong. I've noticed that that nut was loose before, but never had any problems with it. I just weighed 30 drops, and they were all 3.5-3.6.

Thanks a lot,

Kevin

Glad I could help,

Dan