Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opps bought Small Magnum primers instead of Standard?

harley0711

I have a good friend that suggested I reg here and ask my question..

I load both 40 and 9mm

I have been using http://www.precisionbullets.com/ hard coated lead

I also bought 8 pounds of Hodgdon Clays some time back so this my powder for some time....

according to their web site... Clays is at #7 out of 117 listed powders on how fast the burn rate is... #1 being the fastest..

According to Hodgdon web site

125 bullet weight - Clays 2.9 to 3.3 on the 9mm

125 GR. LCN Hodgdon Clays .356" 1.125" 2.9 899 22,700 CUP 3.3 993 30,900 CUP

185 bullet weight - Clays 3 to 3.5 on the 40 SW

180 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Clays .400" 1.125" 3.0 727 26,000 PSI 3.5 847 34,300 PSI {as close as I could get}

I have always used standard CCI primers and all has been OK... Just practice ammo - all close range...

by mistake I bought 2K CCI Magnum Small Pistol primers...

So, what do I need to do - when using the above powder and bullets.. and using the mag small pistol primers...

Just be happy you have primers. As Aristotle said work up a new load. It should be about a 10th less than your current load. I have gone from Win SPP to Fed mag primers to Rem SRP to Rem SPP. This primer issue better go away by next year or i will be going away. This sport is fast becomming a money pit that i no longer want to feed. :angry:

Just be happy you have primers. As Aristotle said work up a new load. It should be about a 10th less than your current load. I have gone from Win SPP to Fed mag primers to Rem SRP to Rem SPP. This primer issue better go away by next year or i will be going away. This sport is fast becomming a money pit that i no longer want to feed. :angry:

I did read somewhere to reduce by 5% - you are suggesting 10%??

on the 9mm suggestion was 2.9-3.3 so,,, start at 2.61 = 10% reduction ??????????

Just trying to understand

I am now loading nothing but magnum primers. I only noticed a few FPS difference. Just stick to your old load but with the new primers. You may be slightly higher PF, but you will not be in any dangerous condition. I think...

1/10 of one grain. If your loading 2.8 grains, try 2.7 and chrono it. it really isn't that big of a deal. Like Trevoro said, you could just stick to your old load, but playing around with it familiarizes you with the the process. If you don't have a chrono then buy one and experiment within the safety zone of the cartridge your loading.

You don't say what weight you were loading or if you have run that through a chrono and what you got or what gun you are shooting.

Others can check me on this but as long as you are not loading at the top of the recommended amount, you should be OK just keeping your current load. The recommended loads are well within the limits for most guns even with magnum primers.