Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blown Primers in a Super 1050

A "Ringer" as you described is typically caused when fired brass is exposed to moisture, such as rain, and it gets down into the interior of the primer. The resultant corrosion weakens the corner area of the primer, so that when the decapping pin pushes down, the end of the primer and the anvil push out, leaving the sidewall of the primer cup. Sometimes I can feel them at the swaging station of the 1050, but not always. Scary! :surprise:

Agreed, it's my own fault. I tried the lemi-shine brass cleaning method and didn't all the brass completely dry. I think I had a ringer again last night, but I haven't taken my primer bar apart yet. I could see the primer wedged in the primer hole but didn't want to touch it until I had some more time.

A "Ringer" as you described is typically caused when fired brass is exposed to moisture, such as rain, and it gets down into the interior of the primer. The resultant corrosion weakens the corner area of the primer, so that when the decapping pin pushes down, the end of the primer and the anvil push out, leaving the sidewall of the primer cup. Sometimes I can feel them at the swaging station of the 1050, but not always. Scary! :surprise:

I was just going to mention the swager and dillon beat me to it. When the handle gets "springy" I pull the case from the swaging station. I had about 30 of those last year and would set off a few primers although I never had a tube go up. I just assumed that it was old brass as mine was Starline. When this happens the case is trash as the ring will not come out.

This was also about the time my press started mushing primers by not hitting the primer pocket correctly. I replaced the mechanism that moves the primer slide in and out and the primer slide. I figured I bent something. So far so good.

I have slowed down my loading rate to pay more attention to the feel of the press. If it feels strange stop and investigate. Don't force it.

Sure. I and others have found that Dillon decap pins have a little "Flat" on the bottom. On tight primer pocket brass, as Speer, instead of the spent primer popping off the decap pin when it gets punched out of the spent case, it can stick to the decap pin and get sucked back in a little bit into the case. This jams up the works.....

By just beveling the pin end a little bit, knocking the edge off, it alleviated this.

Hope this helps!

DougC

This is not unique to Dillon dies, I had it happen on other brands of dies. Redding, Lyman, etc.

Had a stack of primers light off in my 1050 a few weeks ago too. 1050 and 550 are setup on the same bench next to each other.

Primer follower rod shot up and took out the overhead lights above the bench and glass rained down on the entire bench. That was a fun day.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151812

Had a stack of primers light off in my 1050 a few weeks ago too. 1050 and 550 are setup on the same bench next to each other.

Primer follower rod shot up and took out the overhead lights above the bench and glass rained down on the entire bench. That was a fun day.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151812

Is there anything that contributes to lighting off the primer tube?