Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left Eye Dominance Solved?

When I first started shooting, an experienced shooter told me to shoot left handed as my left eye is slightly more dominant

Obviously a true expert. :rolleyes:

This doesn't help the thread and is not needed.....

Yes. If you're right-handed, why on Earth would anyone choose to shoot left-handed? Not only are you deliberately handicapping yourself by using your less dextrous hand, but now you've got controls are on the wrong side of the gun for best manipulation.

I believe TGO and Koenig switched hands based on eye domiance. That would be enough of a reason to give it a try.

This is one of those things there isn't a right or wrong way to do it. Figure out what works best for you and do that.

Flyin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't help the thread and is not needed.....

Why not? Scott criticized the advice to shoot left handed as a right handed shooter as "some of the WORST advice I've been given." What I added to the discussion was humorously agreeing with him.

I believe TGO and Koenig switched hands based on eye domiance.

I'm not familair with Doug Koenig's situation. Yes, Robbie shoots right handed even though he's naturally left handed. But Robbie is also functionally ambidextrous (this is a guy who can play with two butterfly knives at the same time, using both hands equally, and will flat tell you he's just as good with his right hand as his left) so I can understand his decision to shoot right handed in order to be able to use all the controls at their maximum utility; and I'm sure the desire to use his master eye without having to turn his head at all probably factored in there to some degree, as well. Add into the mix that the vast majority of stages are designed by right handed shooters, with a definite left to right "flow" advantage to the person shooting right handed re movement. Why buck that? If I was left master hand/right master eye cross-dominant AND functionally ambidextrous I'd undoubtably make the same choice as Robbie.

But that's not what we're talking about here; we're talking about someone who is right handed with a definite advantage in dexterity for their strong hand choosing to shoot with their less dexterous left hand, thus making, well, everything much harder on themselves. Not just including drawing and trigger control (though those are the two biggies, IMO) but also having less efficient use of the slide stop and mag release button (assuming non-ambidextrous parts, natch). And suddenly, for just about every stage, you find yourself moving against the grain of the stage and having to contort your body during movement much more to not break the 180 than you would if you simply held the gun in your strong hand. Why do that to yourself?

So yes, in this case, I will say there is an obvious right and wrong choice here. Why make things that much harder on yourself when you don't have to?

Kinda funny observation (from a guy with now skin in this)...

I read a lot of do this...do that...do this other thing... and then read stuff like that is natural or the body is sorting it out.

It can't be both ways, right?

I've got a buddy I grew up with. He does everything in his life right handed...except shoot pool. His dad shot pool left handed...so he does. Guess what...it "just feels natural" to him.

Many things get attributed to being "natural"...that are really learned, IMO.

For sure, gun shooting isn't natural. Guns haven't been around long enough to enter into evolution.

What is natural? Look at nearly every meat eating hunter on Earth. They are eyes front, and squared up.