Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot for mover

xsniper

I really appreciate the help yesterday on the rules question. Now I am wondering about the technology I have missed being away for 10 years. I was using a Gilmore scope that took care of the lead on the mover. Is this still good or am I behind the "curve" now. I have seen a picture of a reticle that was tombstone shaped. That could be a nice thing to have also. What's the word ??

The Gilmore is fine, but as speculatorking said, most have switched to the Stick-Shift that toolguy makes. The tombstone reticle you mentioned has been available from Gilmore as well, and there's also a Pride-Fowler scope the has a 50-yd tombstone reticle in it. The Gilmore model is a 25-yd IIRC. The Pride-Fowler also has 3 other reticles in it that you can change as you shoot: a single 4 min dot, a 3-dot reticle with the dots arranged in a vertical line, the center dot being larger and brighter then the other 2, and another one that is the bottom half of the tombstone target. The past one I listed can be used for the mover without the Stick-Shift by adjusting the elevation knob.

I don't find the tombstone reticle all that helpful as it seems too "busy" for finding the target quickly, and at 50 yds where it perfectly outlines the target, you have all the time in the world to get the single dot on center.

What you have now should do nicely as the technology hasn't changed all that much in that respect.

Alan~^~

.... only to add the new Bianchi Target AP-1 replaces the D-1 that you have been familiar with. The new target has a "black" X ring center, so many find the need for the tombstone type reticle not as useful.

Also, if you have one of the older Gilmore scopes with the replacement "A, B & C" adjustment knobs for lead it may be a keeper. They were pretty good quality scopes.

MJ :cheers:

Yes, that is the old Gilmore scope I still have. I pulled out my Cup gun last month, loaded a few rounds and have had a blast shooting it. I saw a YouTube clip that showed the new target. The black center will be really nice at the 50 yard line of the practical. I have just been using a touch of spray paint on my old targets. I still have about 50 of them, and I paste um till they won't stand up. Now I am going to have to find a match to get a classification again. After 10 years I get to start over. Worst case scenario is I don't get a classification and have to shoot master...and that's where I was when I left.