Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling with a tactical scope...

Good day to you sirs :) and madams :)

So, i just spent like half a day reading all the TSA regulations.. and i could never find regarding rifle scopes.. I've searched on the web.. and found some answers saying its ok to carry it or maybe check it in(depending on airline), but its all unofficial. So yeah, im still asking you guys if its ok to carry ANY scope?? i read one airline guideline stating "FOR COMPETITION OR HUNTING" is allowed. how bout tactical scopes??

My second question is the word "gun parts"... what is that really??

If i carry a STI polymer grip.. is that a gunpart?? how bout a VTAC handguard?? is that a accessories or gunparts?? my head is starting to hurt :))hahahaha..

Some parts that i plan to get in the US during my stay there is a Daniel Defense Lite Rail, Trijicon TR24(if i can find one), and maybe a Vltor EMOD stock?? which is which?? I'm flying via Hongkong and landing in my hometown.. would this pose as a prob even if i check in my bags and im just "going through" Hongkong??

Airlines generally don't know anything about firearms, parts, or scopes. I would recommend checking all parts. TSA is never standard. You could get through one check point in LA, but fail to get through in Denver. It's very subjective, so checking is the only way to get around that.

As for traveling through Hong Kong, that's a calculated risk. I know that in the US, if you have a firearm and divert to a state that has restriction, you are subject to that states restrictions. The same would apply to magazines or other restricted parts. Whatever Hong Kong's restrictions are will apply, especially if there is a maintenance problem that causes you to reboard at a later time requiring you to recheck in.

I have traveled around the US with firearms, parts, ammo, etc. problem free. I am sure there are others here could chime in on international procedures. Good luck.

Jason

I'd personally show up a little early and try and carry it on. Worse that can happen is you have to end up checking it.

If its a high dollar piece I wouldn't trust the baggage guys with it.