Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the 1050 swage/expander die always loud?

When my Super 1050 is set to remove crimp on 9mm brass, on the release from the die it always makes a noise (die sticking in neck). It only happens when I put the die down far enough to actually hold a military case in place (case mouth is above the mouth expansion line) and the shell plate is not forced up by the swage rod at the bottom of the cycle. I'm perfectly happy with the swage, it is just the pop on every stroke is a little annoying. I could back out the die slightly but then the shell plate flexes up during the swage operation, which I don't want. Just checking to see if anyone else experiences this with pistol ammo. I'm not specifically lubing the case necks, if that is the recommendation to reduce the adhesion between the die and the case neck. Hopefully I'm not alone on this one.

When my Super 1050 is set to remove crimp on 9mm brass, on the release from the die it always makes a noise (die sticking in neck). It only happens when I put the die down far enough to actually hold a military case in place (case mouth is above the mouth expansion line) and the shell plate is not forced up by the swage rod at the bottom of the cycle. I'm perfectly happy with the swage, it is just the pop on every stroke is a little annoying. I could back out the die slightly but then the shell plate flexes up during the swage operation, which I don't want. Just checking to see if anyone else experiences this with pistol ammo. I'm not specifically lubing the case necks, if that is the recommendation to reduce the adhesion between the die and the case neck. Hopefully I'm not alone on this one.

I accept a slight (!) flexing of the shellplate. The neck expander die enters the case for approx. 3 or 4mm. I can feel the swaging on the last, say, 3 to 5cm of the stroke of the handle.

Maybe you could set the swaging rod by trial and error to the minimum swage that is still enough for flawless priming of military brass?

However I am a rookie and I am sure there are much more experienced users around here.

Edited by LoSTViKiNG

I'm not really upset with the swage, it is great. I guess I could let the shellplate flex up slightly and avoid the sticking. I could probably turn down the die past the case mouth mark if it is significantly bigger. I didn't measure it yet.