Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you do with a cheap Springfield GI model?

ben b.

Ben

what I would do is use it to practice home gunsmithing, simple stuff, fitting a beavertail, trigger jobs, safeties etc, go slow and read all the info you can before to take a file or stone to anything. and do a safety check after everything to do to it. worse case if it's gets fubar, your only out 400 bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there Ray!

I shot it and dry fired it for a while, and although it seemed like a cool idea to keep it G.I. and retro....I don't have the strength to tolerate it. So S&A magwell is in after more work than I expected, the jig for the S&A .220 beavertail is on, and all the other ~$200 of parts from Brownells are in the box, while I have some simply beautiful spalted maple grips on the way. The slide was sent off for better sights.

I'll do the other work on this one myself, unless I need to open the port, and will farm that part out.

So I'll be up late a few nights, tinkering, cussing and having fun.

Ben

trust me on this one, if your up late, just want to finish one last thing, and tired.

STOP

you'll have a DAMN IT moment

put it away and start fresh tomorrow.

you figure after the second or third time I'd learn that by now :rolleyes:

I bought one several years ago for around $450. The slide to frame was unreal, probably hand fit. Knowing I would need $200+/- in parts to make it work for me, I sold it for $450 and bought a loaded stainless 9mm for $600 with 5 mags. Would have made a heck of a build as the hard part was already done. Good luck!