Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help - 2011 main spring housing

Alan Adamson

Ok, so I've got an S_I limited gun that came with a very heavy, arched metal main spring housing... I wanted to replace it with just the polymer flat version. Got the main spring housing from Shooters Connection, took the metal one out and removed the insides, replaced the spring with a 17lb'r and reassembled the housing... Had to counter sink the little pin that holds the mainspring plunger in, but other than that, all is well.

So at eyeball, it appears that the 2 housings are the same... But when I try to fit it to the gun and compress the hammer spring ever so slightly to get the magwell, bottom pin to insert, the top of the mainspring housing isn't long enough to keep the bottom tangs on the beavertail from coming out of the gun... Are there differing lengths of beavertails? Or is there some other issue? The large pin hole does not appear elongated, but something is amiss.....

Any ideas? I figured this would be a simple mod, but perhaps I was grossly mistaken?

Alan

Actually, for now I fixed it... I just pinned the grip safety. I also talked to STI, it does appear that there are some *short* main spring housings in existance, they are going to ship me a new one to try.

Thanks for the comments.

Alan

You have a 1911 mainspring housing. The 2001 is a little longer to capture the tabs on the grip safety.

Don't think so, I ordered and got a polymer 2011 flat mainspring sti housing from shooters connection. Its just to short :(

Alan