Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Filthy Lubed Regular Lead Bullets

sfinney

Shot a 1 2stage sectional match this weekend....... about 60 shooters. I was having the match of my life, was on track for a possible overall Limited win (or at least top 3 overall) after 11 stages.

Due to higher than anticipated round count, ran out of my JHP match ammo (I also had 2 rehoots during the match!), and switched to my 180 lead practice loads for the final stage.

Sadly, the sun was was down range (it was @ 10:30 am), and after about 8 or 9 shots the range was so obscured with HEAVY SMOKE!! that I couldn't see the multiple disapearing swingers well enough to call my shots, but did my best.

Seriously, people asked me after the stage what the heck I was shooting, it was BAD.

2 mikes and a no shoot later, I fell from at least a top 3 overall finish to 8th, and finished 2nd in class by 15 points. :wacko:

OUCH! Not a good way to finish what was a HUGE macth for me. Actually, I'm still pretty proud of my performance overall, but it is disapointing to feel a big win slide out of your grasp. :unsure:

To top all that off, my gun was immediately filthy, after only one stage of lead. I had shot 11 stages and hadn't need to clean my gun yet, to that point.

I'm placing an order to Montana Gold today, and will never attend a big match with out enough jacketed ammo to shoot it at least twice, again.

Shot at the 99' limited nationals and used lead. That was the last time I EVER used lead. Same thing happened to me........it looked like a smoke screen out of a James Bond car.............I saw nothing down range and there was no wind.