Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Holders Questions.

GordonB

I'm planning to buy an Ar15 mag-holder and I had some questions. I looked it up on the USPSA rulebook and did a search here. Could not find clear answers to these questions:

1. The magazine holder has a strap. I know with gun holsters it has to be on. But with mag holders does the strap have to be engaged/on? Can I take that strap and fold it over? Can I just cut it off and be OK? Furthermore, if I have a gun holster that has a strap, can I cut it off and be legal?

2. The magazine holder straps to the thigh. Is this a legal position?

5.3.4 The belt carrying the holster and all allied equipment shall be at waist level...

English being English, the above rule is not clear.

Does the 5.3.4 mean:

The belt (carrying the holster and all allied equipment) shall be at waist level. Or...

The belt carrying the holster AND all allied equipment shall be at waist level.

What exactly does allied equipment mean?

I am going to use it in USPSA/IPSC 3-gun.

But for the heck of it, let's say the holder also has pistol mag pouches attached as well.

Also:

5.3.6.1 A "tie-down" rig, visible or otherwise.

This mag holder straps to the thigh. Does 5.3.6.1 only apply to gun holsters?

Gordon,

In an effort to avoid possibly giving you the wrong advice in respect of a "USPSA 3-Gun Match", I'm going to reply as if you were entering an IPSC 3-Gun Tournament.

In an IPSC Tournament, separate rules apply to each component match. In other words, the Handgun Match is governed by the Handgun Rules, the Shotgun Match is governed by the Shotgun Rules and the Rifle Match is governed by the Rifle Rules.

In that respect, under IPSC Rifle Rules, there are no rules governing the placement of mag pouches or the application of associated retaining straps, if any, so you're free to do as you please, and this is reinforced by:

Rifle 5.2.4 Ammunition and speed loading devices, must be carried or worn on the competitor or mounted to the rifle in safely designed pouches, pockets or other suitable retention devices, unless otherwise specified in the course description.

(The above means that no fixed equipment positions are specified).

+++++

On the other hand, under IPSC Handgun Rules (January 2004 Edition), certain restrictions apply, and the relevant rules are:

Handgun 5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, the belt carrying the holster and all allied equipment must be worn at waist level. The belt or the inner belt or both must be either permanently fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops.

(This means you must wear your belt at waist level, and "the holster and all allied equipment" (e.g. mag pouches) must be worn on that belt, not on your thigh or anywhere else.)

Handgun 5.2.5.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match. If a retaining strap is attached to a holster, it must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the "Standby" command (see Rule 8.3.3).

(Of course if you remove the retaining strap before the match, then there's nothing to be "applied or closed").

I hope the above helps.

• 2 months later...

Roger,

5.2.4 Spare ammunition, magazines and speed loading devices should be carried in retention devices specifically designed for that purpose, to reduce the risk of loss during a course of fire.

The above rule is an advisory, hence the use of the word "should", which in the IPSC rulebooks always means "highly recommended but not mandatory". If you want to carry spare mags in your pocket, no problem. There used to be an old rule which said you must exhaust the mags on your belt first before drawing spare mags from your pocket, but that rule was dropped some time ago.

I hope this answers your question.

OK, thanks, I've got it. I already have four mags in holders but I carry the magazine I'm starting with (my fifth) in my pocket until "Load and make ready"... I don't really recall any station where I have needed all five mags, but you never know.. there is alwayas a first time for everything.