Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has Anyone Loaded BOTH PD 124 fmj AND MG 124 CMJ

1SOW

I know I'm not likely to find out what I need to know ,but here goes anyway.

PD stopped making 124gr fmj 9mm for a while; so I switched to Montana Gold because of availability.

Unfortunately, my buddy with the chrono shot his out of season, so I couldn't chrono the MGs.

The MG 124gr cmj measure the same length as the PD 124gr fmj (the PDs chrono'd 132 PF ); so I loaded them exactly the same using N320 and test fired 20 rounds. They shot well and FELT about the same as the PDs, but I know from experience that's not a reliable test.

Has anyone loaded both of these bullets and chrono'd them to get a comparison. I'm trying to avoid loading up hundreds and finding out they don't make PF or are are too hot. I need the cartridges before the chrono heals.

Thanks even if no such luck.

:unsure:

Edited by 1SOW

I've got and have loaded both. Given equal powder charges and OAL, the MG 124gr CMJ and PD 124gr FMJ chrono more or less the same from my G17. The only notable difference I've noticed was the bullet profile was different and the seating die needs to be adjusted when going from PD to MG in order to keep the OAL constant.

I found exactly the same with my Lee.

I think I like the MG profile better than the blunted PDs. I'll know tomorrow after a shoot.

Thanks. That gives me more confidence. I had to load a couple of 100 today.

Edited by 1SOW