Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Help Please

Steve4102

I have two Witness Elite Match in 10mm. The mag for my first Elite Match works OK, but the mag for my new Elite 10mm will only allow me to load 6-7 rounds. This is supposed to be a 15 rounder. I also have two brand new 15 round 10mm EAA mags that cannot be loaded with more than 8 rounds.

I read that the Grams Spring and Follower kit will fix me right up. Only problem is, I ain't smart enough to figure out which kit I should purchase.

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/magparts.html

Can you guys help me out with this? Which spring/follower do I need for a Witness Elite Match 10mm 15 rounders?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

There's something binding in your mags that is causing them to not take 15 rounds (btw, when I got mine they were REALLY tight at 15). Before going out and getting the Grams Spring/Follower (which I highly recommend if you want more capacity than 15) try to figure out what's wrong with the mags you have.

Disassemble the mags (push the thingy on the bottom in, and slide the floor plate off).

Is there a burr on the follower? What's it hanging up on as the follower moves down the tube? Maybe there's a burr in the mag tube?

Once you check this out, post your findings.

When you order your Grams kit from Henning, you'll want the 11-coil spring/follower for the large frame. If you call Henning, he will be able to set you up with the right stuff. And while you're at it, you may want some aluminum base pads as well (even MORE capacity) and they're not likely to break when the mag hits the floor.

~Mitch

Thanks Mitch, Before I posted this thread I did a little investigating on the new Elite 10mm Mag. I found some burrs on the follower. I polished them off and nothing changed. I swapped out the follower and spring from my good mag to my bad mag. The bad mag loaded fine with the good follower and spring. The good mag would not load with the bad follower and spring. So, not the mag, but the follower and spring.

I did some more swapping back and forth and gave up. I brought the mag to a gunsmith and he basically told me the follower is a POS.

I called EAA and they told me to send the mag to them for repair or replacement. That's when I figured I would just order two new mags and be done. Wrong, these two suffer from the same problems.

What I have done so far is to send the 3 bad mags off to EAA. I don't know what will come of this and at this point I don't care. I just want my 10MM to run. So, I will wait for EAA to send me the mags back and I will fill them with Gram springs and followers.

Thanks for helping me with the right kit to purchase.

Well the good news then is it's not the tubes - which means you will be able to put the grams guts in there and have joy. Noticed Henning is offering kits pairing the grams guts with his base pads. Might be the way to go for an extra high cap 10mm. BTW, are you shooting factory or reloaded ammo? If you're reloading, check out some of the threads in Hennings forum. I was getting nose dives with my 40S&W until I started undersizing. Might be something to pay attention to if you go with extended basepads.

~Mitch