Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

88 or 90 gr. bullets

ong45

I have been trying a couple of very light bullets for steel challenge. I have had trouble getting a consistent oal with these bullets. Anybody ever tried this ? What bullet did you use ? thanks

James Ong

Jim,

If you want something light  use the frangible bullets.

West Coast or Sinterfire both work well. They are light but have larger dimensions.

I use them in S&W40- they have 125gr that have the same profile/size as 180's. This solve the OAL probs.

Thanks warpspeed,  I'll try those bullets . As a bonus, west coast bullets is in my area.....can't believe i didnt think of this first. I wonder if my oal problems (inconsistent) are because of the extreme shortness of the bullet?

James Ong

Glad to be of service.

I haven't tried the 0.355 frangibles because they are more expensive than 115 jhp. and the 115 jhp is light enough and very accurate. you may want to try 100 of each and see if the extra cost is worth it.

For 40 S&W, it definately is.  Please post your results so we can all learn :-)

I have good luck with 88gr jhp from remington, use the roundnose seater in your press.  I am loading them into 9SC brass at 1.200 with a fast powder, vv320, clays to around 1300 or so with a lightened slide open gun.  Works great for ring a ding steel, and will take properly calibrated steel at 128 pf.