Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sporting Clays And The Saiga-12

Tokarev

I finally found the time to get away from the house and out to the range today and plunked down $35 for a second go at sporting clays. I used the Saiga-12 shotgun again but I used a modified choke and some S&B 7 1/2 Sporting Clays shells I got from Cabela's. I shot on a different range this time so the course was different and I only busted 47 birds this time out. The gun still runs perfectly and I can't blame any misses on the gun or ammo. I will say though that the S&B load kicks like a load of "00" buck. I'll stick to the cheap Winchester stuff until I get a kick reducer and/or a recoil pad.

I really enjoy shooting this gun and can recommend them without reservation! The gun was cheap, eats all kinds of light and heavy loads and will put five slugs into a palm-sized group at 50 yards.

I assume you were shooting a 1 1/8 load which is hurting you.

You might try the 1 ounce load at about 1200 FPS, a lot less recoil and still a good pattern.

I would still put on a recoil pad, it can only help in felt recoil no matter what gun you shoot. I even put them on small gauge guns, that don't need any recoil reduction, just in case I "place" the butt stock down too hard on the heel or toe and chip a piece of stock off. :o

Yes, the S&B Sporting Clays shell is a 1 1/8 ounce load. My last time out, I used some cheap Winchester #8's that were a 7/8 ounce load.

I do need a recoil pad but the Saiga-12 has a plastic stock and I'll probably have to do some fiddling to find a recoil pad that'll fit. Or maybe I'll see if I can't find a used wood stock off somebody's converted Saiga carbine.

Got me on both counts; I'm not familiar with that type of shotgun as you can tell.

7/8th is a low recoiling round overall.

They used to sell "slip on" recoil pads, but I don't know if they still do or whether that would work on your particular stock.