Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Understanding Scoring

rtr

Ok here are the results I'm talking about, tell me how close to this guy I was:

Other guy 463.4737 77.45%

Me 443.7317 74.15%

these are results for the whole match, 6 stages.

I don't think anyone saying that you should shoot a speed that will give you a miss. Going into a big match and telling yourself "I will have no penalties" is going to do one of 2 things: 1. You will shoot the whole match without any penalties, but you will probably add 20+ seconds to a 10 stage match second guessing shots and being too careful. 2. You will be extremely discouraged after you have a miss that your mental game will trashed and affect you for a stage or the rest of the match. (This is not FACT! It is possible to finish the match at a solid speed without penalties but for us mortal shooters the odds are not with us).

I started the Infinity Match with 2 misses, 4-5 seconds behind on the second stage with a minor malfunction and extra shots on steel, followed by a poor 50y performance. However, I didn't let any of that get the best of me. I shot the next 5 stages very well. I could have lost my confidence and slowed down too much. I ended up shooting my best stage ever finishing 4th with a solid time and only shooting 3 C's on a 36 round stage. The 3rd day was a little rough, but thanks to a solid last stage on day 1 and 4 solid stages on day 2 I managed an alright 17th over-all. I guarantee that if I would have came into the match with a "absolutely no penalty" mindset that my over-all finish would have dropped me a lot lower.

You should have a different mindset depending on the HF. A HF at 9.0 or higher I will accept some C's and even some D's. If a HF is at 7 or under I will put more emphasis on good hits. Here's an example: If I have a 20 round hoser stage I know I can shoot 93-97 pts in around 10 seconds. I also know I can shoot the same stage in the 8 second range, but there's a chance of some D's or a miss. The 8 second run will win 9 out of 10 times.

Now if there's a 20 round technical stage, I might take 16 seconds to shoot 95 pts. I can probably also shoot the stage in 14 seconds, but the risk of a miss or poor hits is not worth the gamble.

What do you think?

Good stuff there, especially points 1 and 2. It really takes the wind out of my sails when I'm trying for a clean match and I toss a Miss.

Interesting scoring situations at today's match... 32-round memory course with nearly all partial targets at about 12-15 yards behind vision barriers. Some are 1/4 A zone. Total accuracy stage, and this is a Limited match. I drop 5 Cs in 33-something. Lots of runs in that time range, a few faster with a Miss or two. Then there's the stage winner, our resident hair-on-fire GM, with a 23-something, down 26 points and a Miss. Ten freakin seconds faster me, with a half-point better hit factor than me. His explanation: he just had a squib on the previous, 200-point stage; he had nothing to lose.