Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro Rear Sight Loose

Sarge

I must have bought a friggin' lemon. I was trying to work out the FTE issues at the range today while also chronoing some new loads. My shots were all over the place and I thought the load must be a bad combo for the gun. Then I noticed the rear sight looked "funny" so I grabbed it and it slid around in the groove. The set screw is gone! I thought these things were much tighter than that. My sight will slide all the way out with ease if I want it to.

A) Is it normal to be so loose or could it be cracked or something?

B) Is there any way this could be contributing to my FTE problems? Isn't the striker retaining pin held in place by the rear sight? It is a long shot I know but this all happening at once.

Thanks as usual for any info.

Edited by sandman

Had the same thing happen with a SA 1911 once, chasing shots all over the place.

As for how loose it is, no biggie, it relies on the set screw to hold it in place. Get another set screw, sight it in, then use a drop of locktite. I used a pencil to mark the sight and slide after it was sighted in, then pulled the setscrew to apply locktite, and just lined up pencil marks when I tightened it.

Doubt it's got anything to do with your FTE issue as the safetyplunger has nothing to do with the eject part of the cycle.