Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What EXACTLY do you see?

Z32MadMan

1) I remember when I was a child, I was left eye dominant. remember squinting my right eye when playing slingshots.

2) As I was growing older, I was exposed to shooting and trained my right eye to be dominant. now I squint my left eye when looking at the sights.

whenever I try shooting from the draw with both eyes open, I find it hard to see the sights align swiftly. I couldn't focus on the front sight. what I see is a clear target and "holographic" blurry looking sights. I find it also hard to track my sights for a 2nd shot. When I draw and shoot with my left eye close, the target is blurry and the front sight is clear and it's easier for me to track the sights.Tried shooting with my left eye. feels so wierd. don't like the feeling of leaning my head to the right from a draw to get a sight picture.

I know it's ideal to shoot with both eyes open. anyone here knows how to correct this? I feel like my eyes are "confused" and slowing down my transitions TIA!

Based on comments (1) and (2), I am going to say you are still left eye dominate even though you say you have trained your right eye to be dominant. My proof is that you still have to squint your left eye when looking at the sights. This makes sense given your prescription as well. You left eye is more near sighted than your right, meaning close objects, (like your sights), will be more in focus in your left eye than your right. Your brain will want to gather information from your left eye as a result, which is why you want to squint it to make it go away.

Honestly, I think the best solution for your vision is to get RX glasses specific for shooting or closing your left eye. You are going to be battling this every time you shoot otherwise. You can do it, it will just be a hindrance to your shooting and slow you down. You should experiment with a good optometrist and disposable contacts until you get it "right". Your current RX glasses could be wrong now, which may be the cause of your headaches, so the first step should be to get that correct. After that, you should try experiment with slight adjustments specific to shooting. What do I mean? For instance, if you just correct the left eye, and leave the right eye slightly near sighted, you will most likely find it easier and faster to find the sights with your right eye since the sights will almost be in focus naturally with your right eye. Your sights will be very blurry to your left eye in comparison, so you you will not need to squint your left eye to turn it off. Conversely, your left eye will see a clearer crisper target due to the prescription, so the result will be a superimposed image where both the target and the sights are in focus AT THE SAME TIME, (or as near as they can be based on target distance). This technique is called mono-vision. I've experimented with it and I actually quite like it. It sounds like you are a good candidate. If so, you can turn this weakness into a strength and enjoy the benefits.

Clear as mud?

Edited by TheDarkOne

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get you, DarkOne. I'll do a little bit of experimentation first. I'll try to remove my lenses and test one after the other to see if it will work.

If not, hell I'll just stick with closing my left eye.

thanks for the insight sir!

If you can take out your lenses you are golden. Just be sure to pop off the right lens, RX in left. If you do it the other way it will exaggerate the problem you already have, (which could be fun experiment too I guess). Let us know how it goes. Edited by TheDarkOne

I get you, DarkOne. I'll do a little bit of experimentation first. I'll try to remove my lenses and test one after the other to see if it will work.

If you can take out your lenses you are golden. Just be sure to pop off the right lens, RX in left. If you do it the other way it will exaggerate the problem you already have, (which could be fun experiment too I guess). Let us know how it goes.
WHAT THE!!!!!

popped the right lens out and started aiming from the draw with both eyes open. Deym sights are Crystal clear!!!

THANKS A LOT DARK ONE! YOU'RE THE MAN!

Edited by davidwebb

If you can take out your lenses you are golden. Just be sure to pop off the right lens, RX in left. If you do it the other way it will exaggerate the problem you already have, (which could be fun experiment too I guess). Let us know how it goes.
WHAT THE!!!!!

popped the right lens out and started aiming from the draw with both eyes open. Deym sights are Crystal clear!!!

THANKS A LOT DARK ONE! YOU'RE THE MAN!

Awesome brother, that is great news! Happy to help.

Now, it comes down to communicating this to your optometrist so you can get some lenses made up, since shooting with one lens may be frowned upon. ;)

You will most likely have some sort of prescription in your right lens, if anything, just to correct for any astigmatism you have there. You may even want to bring a "blue gun" into the office so you can take a sight picture while he rotates though some different options. Be sure to communicate your intentions over the phone. You should be able to find a sport friendly optometrist that will work with you. The end result should be even better than this test though since both eyes will have a dialed in and updated prescription .

Good luck and good shooting! :)

Edited by TheDarkOne

I think what i see is probably different then for a lot of people but i'd definitely say it's an advantage. I'm right eye dominant and my left eye is lazy. I'v had a lazy eye since i was 6-7 years old and had surgery to correct it but the surgery didn't help much. The advantage i guess is that when i bring the gun up and focus on the front sight my left eye is tilted off track to the left. Since both eyes aren't trying to focus on the same point i don't get a double image. Another positive and the reason people try to keep both eyes is i still have good peripheral vision and the depth is still there. It's kind of funny because when i first started shooting i tried to close my left eye because i thought it's what you were supposed to do. I was relieved that most people actually strive to be able to shoot with both eyes open. It feels much more comfortable and natural to have both eyes open, and it's no effort at all.