Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Losing primers

35WLN

I have a new open 9major that I am running 7.7 gr. of Silhouette with a MG 124 CMJ at 1.165 Oal. The primers are Federal MSP and mixed brass. This load chronos at 171 PF for me. The problem I am having is occasionally the primers come out of the spent cases and on 2 occurances the brass stuck in the chamber and I had to remove it with a squib rod. Also, it seems to me I have a lot of unburnt powder left in the gun. I have read where this is common with Silhouette, but this seems like too much to me. What kind of things can I look for/ try to fix the problem? I am nervous about using my new open gun and would like to get this under control. Thanks

Well since ya beat me this weekend in Dundee, I don't know if I should share with you John's non-secret sauce. I'm using Winchester Small Rifle with about the same load otherwise. John said that because the pressures are so high you need the rifle primers or what you describe could occur. I also have a bunch of unburned powder in the gun when I go to clean it - more than I'm used to with anything else. If you switch to rifle primers that may help with your ignition as well. Good luck!

~Mitch