Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock River 9mm Pistol

I want to start competing in my local club's Pistol Caliber Carbine events, but I want to use a gun that kinda stands out. NFA rules aside (I already know what I have to do to make this project legal), is there anything mechanically preventing me from buying a Rock River 9mm pistol and adding a buttstock to simply turn it into a SBR? Will I need to change the buffer tube? Is the lower a different design to prevent the addition of a buttstock? I know nothing about these kinda guns, but think this would be a neat kinda gun to have once the legalities are properly cared for.

I want to start competing in my local club's Pistol Caliber Carbine events, but I want to use a gun that kinda stands out. NFA rules aside (I already know what I have to do to make this project legal), is there anything mechanically preventing me from buying a Rock River 9mm pistol and adding a buttstock to simply turn it into a SBR? Will I need to change the buffer tube? Is the lower a different design to prevent the addition of a buttstock? I know nothing about these kinda guns, but think this would be a neat kinda gun to have once the legalities are properly cared for.

LEGAL issues aside (as per your post).

I don't think the Rock river receiver extension tube is threaded on the end for a stock.. however, I could be wrong.

Also, I don't think it is the same lenght as a A2 rifle stock receiver extension tube.

Best case, you take care of the legal issues,

You slide on an A2 stock and add spacer and screw. done deal.

Wost case, you change the extension tube with one that with fit either an A2, A1 or 4/6 position stock, then add the stock.

The lower design will not effect the ability to add a stock.

LEGAL issues aside (as per your post).

I don't think the Rock river receiver extension tube is threaded on the end for a stock.. however, I could be wrong.

Also, I don't think it is the same lenght as a A2 rifle stock receiver extension tube.

Best case, you take care of the legal issues,

You slide on an A2 stock and add spacer and screw. done deal.

Wost case, you change the extension tube with one that with fit either an A2, A1 or 4/6 position stock, then add the stock.

The lower design will not effect the ability to add a stock.

Start from scratch. Buy a stripped lower and Form 1 it. That way you'll have a reciever that can accept any stock, commercial or mil-spec, and particularly if you change your mind or develop another stock preference at a later date. Also, the lower won't be marked as pistol (since legally it won't be, once your F1 has been approved). Of course, the lower is marked once made into an SBR. Even so, I've done a few SBR conversions for customer's on "pistol" lowers that have stocks attached, and an LEO still conducts a check.

Just make sure to specify on your F1 what length of barrel you intend, and then estimate the OAL of the gun, depending on what stock you prefer, as both these must be listed as terms pending approval. I'd recommend waiting to order parts until after your receive approval, as you don't want to possess a short barrel without having a registered SBR (i.e., you must first obtain approval to possess an SBR, and only then can you make a purchase for a barrel shorter than 16").

You can PM me if you have any questions.