Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Substitute for SR7625 open load?

kbear38S

Likely anybody using IMR SR7265 in the open gun knows no more will be available until sometime in 2003.

If you've used 7625 in an open gun and have found a suitable equivalent, I'd like to hear what you're using.

I've tried 4756 but I can barely get enough powder in the case to make major with 125s so it's not gonna happen with the 115s I'm using now. I think VV N340 might be a good fit but I can't get it locally and hate to take a big hit on shipping expenses before I find out if I like it.

I think you will find VV N340 a little too fast burning to realy get the comp working optimally on your open gun; I shoot an SV with 4 port comp (no hybrids) and use N 350. On a hybrid, N-340 might be just the ticket, however. Friends with SVs like mine (no hybrids) are useing even slower powders such as N-105, although there are compressed load issues with loading N-105.

Finally, VV's new powder, 3n38 is specifically made for 9x23/9Supercomp/38Supercomp/38 super +P/ 38 TJ (they are all ballistically similar carts).

If it becomes available again, Vectan also makes excellent powders for use in open guns. Keep an eyen on Jeff Maass' posts here on BE.

Please let us know what you discover.

Iwas holding the information I had close-to-the-vest, but since none of the folks involved asked me to keep it secret...

Graf & Sons (http://www.grafs.com/)  has arranged to import a quantity of Vectan SP2, and they should have it in stock Now (or Real Soon Now).

This was confirmed to me by people in the know both at NobelSport and at Graf & Sons.

(I did an inventory, and I have 29 pounds in my powder storage spot, so I don't need any more right now for my personal use!)

KBear38S, I highly recommend that your try Vectan SP2.

N340 is too fast (yes, I know, SR7625 is even faster), try something much slower (in the burning rate range from WW540 to N105).

People started using SR7625 after Todd Jarrett did a personal load development study of pretty much every suitable powder several years ago. He found that the burning curve of SR7625 was ideally suited to his gun with it's springs and it's compensator.  Most people who have reported loads for the IPSC Loads List use loads with much slower powders, and report that this results in better compensator function and a less "abrupt" recoil.