Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting started... first time loading 9mm with SDB...

Connor

Hello. :) As indicated, I will be loading 9mm for the first time in a second SDB I just purchased. I have been loading .45 loads for some time using an SDB, using both CLAYS and Universal Clays. In all honesty, these are the only two powders I have ever loaded with so my experience with powders is somewhat limited. Unfortunately I live in a small town and am limited to the powders available to me.

Over the many long years shooting I have acculuated nearly 16,000 9mm cases and decided it was maybe time to sell OR get rid of the cases or start loading. A PERFECT opportunity to purchase another SDB and a couple of 9mm pistols for my wife and I. :D I am shooting a Berretta 92F and my wife is shooting a Ruger P89.

Until now I have been purchasing 115gr. Federal ball ammunition with perfect results. Now that I will be loading 9mm. My question is, what are you favourite "practice" loads and your favourite "deffensive" loads? I'm looking for a good starting point. I figure the best place to start would be right here. What are your favourite load configurations and why?

Thanks in advance.

Connor

Precision Black Bullets using your loading manual for a nice starting load for your practice ammo.

As for defensive ammo.... I still have the original Federal Hydro shocks I purchased 35 years ago as I have yet had to use them....

Edit to add: If you can get and will use powders different than those you listed I would try Solo 1000 and 124-125 moly coated bullets for a superb combination....

Edited by Merlin Orr

Hello. :) As indicated, I will be loading 9mm for the first time in a second SDB I just purchased. I have been loading .45 loads for some time using an SDB, using both CLAYS and Universal Clays. In all honesty, these are the only two powders I have ever loaded with so my experience with powders is somewhat limited. Unfortunately I live in a small town and am limited to the powders available to me.

Over the many long years shooting I have acculuated nearly 16,000 9mm cases and decided it was maybe time to sell OR get rid of the cases or start loading. A PERFECT opportunity to purchase another SDB and a couple of 9mm pistols for my wife and I. :D I am shooting a Berretta 92F and my wife is shooting a Ruger P89.

Until now I have been purchasing 115gr. Federal ball ammunition with perfect results. Now that I will be loading 9mm. My question is, what are you favourite "practice" loads and your favourite "deffensive" loads? I'm looking for a good starting point. I figure the best place to start would be right here. What are your favourite load configurations and why?

Thanks in advance.

Connor

I think the 124/125 gr bullet is much better suited for the 9MM, personally. For 125 gr lead bullets I go with 4.1 gr of Win 231, very accurate and makes PF for IPSC/IDPA. For FMJ I fly with 4.7 gr of Unique under 125 gr FMJ MG or plated bullets. Again the load is accurate and makes PF for the two shooting sports I enjoy.

Take Care

Bob

I take it you have a manual. Universal Clays should do fine for 9mm mild loads. I like 4.3gr under a 124gr FMJ. I've been tempted to try even a little lower than that, but it's the minimum according to Hodgdon (under minimum according to Speer).